Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: acclimatizing Tuberous Drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro thanks very much. hopefully i will succed in making them go threw the summer.

I have:
    D.erythrorhiza
    D.humilis
    D.macrophylla
    D.stolonifera

I also thought if you give them winter like conditions during the summer why would they ever aclimatize to the northern hemesphiere winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yaov,

The goal it to give them winter conditions for a truncated period during summer. Long enough for them to form a tuber but short enough that they can start to synch up with your hemisphere. As I mentione, it can take a couple years to synch them because they do not always grow when/how you want them to.

As for your species... ery and stolon are a bit forgiving of higher temps so they might do okay for you this round. I can not say about the others though as I have only just aquired them myself.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro thanks very much for helping hopefully they will somehow survive to the next winter. Also a D. aff macrantha i have has started to grow but i am not sure if it is a flower scape that comes before the leafs or it is the growing stolon. It is a very small red stolon with some like flower buds on its end. What is the growth habit of this Drosera? Does it sends out its flower before leafs appear? Also if it is the flower scape should i cut it down so the plant would have more energy for leaf growth and this way increase its chances for surviving this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Yaov,

D. macrantha does not bloom until the plant reaches full height (whatever that may be depending on subspecies/form) so anything you are seeing now is going to be plant growth so do not cut it.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12