Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flowering D. capensis!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flowering D. capensis!

Today I strolled over to my fashionable expensive 10$ CP stand in my Lamborghini and looked at my D. capensis, I thought what were flower stalks were traps! It had many developing traps, and the two things I noticed were actually flowers. How do I self them? Do they produce viable seed?

I'll see if I can get a cheap Kodak camera and get some pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, congrats!

D. capensis flowers will automatically produce viable seed after they close. That's how they become a weed in your collection. :P
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well! Do they need stratification, or can I just sow them?

Now, if only all CP's were that way.

I NEVER hear from people taking about Drosera flowers. I think they are very pretty, just one or two grades lower than Ping flowers. The flowers I saw of D. capensis looked even better than my P. primuliflora's flowers.

Funny how the plant can make flower stalks a few inches tall in only a few days yet it doesn't produce dew even though my other Drosera aliciae did even though it was very far down (this thing is like, 1 inch away with one of it's tentacles and the entire plant on the farthest side is only 7 inches! No dew though.) and my D. aliciae was like 6 inches down in a tiny pot, and this one is more hardy and right by it! I got it from Bob Z, and it has 3 growth points, I call it my 'Crazy Capensis', because all of it's tentacles are twisting and winding with red and white hairs (also, to mention, the largest most developed tentacle thus far which is almost done has blood red tentacles and it's the closest to the light, but no dew, urgh.)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sow them. I suggest you burn them before it's too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm... burn what? The seeds? The flowers are only half way developed. (They are about 1.5 CM just above the tallest tentacle, they made it out of the jungle, so they're pushing upwards)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, D. capensis are subtropicals - no stratification needed. You'll soon have more D. capensis than you could possibly have imagined.

Cold store the seeds if you're not going to sow them right away.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    Today I strolled over to my fashionable expensive 10$ CP stand in my Lamborghini
    AHA! So, they do grow good in nice cars! I knew it. ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    somthing very funny happened to me... the capensis albino that have(killed the main plant a used roots) flowered and the seed pod were developing. i had totally forgotten about the pods and they all burst when i went on vacation. NOTHING has germinated since last june. pretty crazy... the weeds are actualy the only ones i cant yet grow from seed(that i already do have) P. lusitanica, D. capensis, and D. burmanni...ive tried them all and ive only gotten 1 seedling from P. lusitanica which died... and 1 from burmanni which gave me 100s of seeds recently. 4th flower stalk coming up...
    NF: dont worry if your plant starts to look like crap while its flowering... its natural.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast