Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewless D. capensis

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got six D. paradoxa, 5 in the same pot. All are flowering. One in the pot of 5 stopped producing dew.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    Well, my D. aliciae was MUCH farther from the light and it still produced gobs of dew on it's new leaves. D. capensis was dewless for about 2-3 weeks then began to flower suddenly with still no dew.

But, light, yeah, it's right next to it, but it could be light.

It's in the freezing temps in the middle of April, temps begin to warm up to 50's and 60's in June, so hopefully by July I can have them outside .
    I think CPsInAtl had it right. You should try moving your lights further away, around 8" - 10". If your aliciae is MUCH farther away, you can raise your lights further from the cape and see what happens. Then just elevate your aliciae if you think it needs to be closer then. Give it a try, what have you got to lose? More dew?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neci, When I got my Capensis it started making a flower and stopped producing dew for about a month/month and a half. After the flower was situated I noticed that the dew slowly returened, the old leaves eventually died, and then it started growing like crazy. In just a week the plant can produce about two new fully-sized leaves. If you cut off the flower stalks the dew will probably return quicker, but I have personally found that the capensis will naturally start making dew again, if you give it time.
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NeciFiX,

As JLAP mentioned, light is the single biggest factor in sundews making their dew. For example I grow my D. spatulata a good 6" or 8" from a compact floro bulb from Target. I think it is a 75 watt equiv, maybe 100 watt...

Anyway, the point is that the plants are completely flushed red from the light they are getting. Something to consider is that you *can* trade intensity for photoperiod - to a point. As for capensis, I can't comment though on your floro situation exactly. That plant grows just fine for me on a windowsill were I have problems growing more "difficult" sundews such as D. graminifolia (which grows great under aritifical lights). Now for example, my graminifolia is so long that the leaves get up near the bulb, usually that part has less dew - if any - than the part of the leaf a few inches below.

As for flowering, mine is in bloom right now, still full of dew. I have noticed two things with this plant 1) when it flowers it grows smaller leaves and 2) when it is cold and the photoperiod is shorter (granted this is relative since I live in Georgia) the leaves loose some color and grow smaller, but still very dewy.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I'll try moving it back. Some other plants may like the lighting anyway. The morning light coming in is very nice so I moved some plants to it. Since we're still in the freezing temps (after 80F or 35C the other day) we're getting snow and not rain, but still, so it's getting cloudy fairly often.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12