Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: D. capensis 'Giant' getting freakin' huge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D. capensis 'Giant' getting freakin' huge

Just wanted to share a pic of my D. capensis "Giant" that I guess is still a baby? Nonetheless, it's freakin' huge, and I had to move it down to my Nepenthes shelf. Hopefully it's still getting enough light.

What's funny is that it's pretty much as big as a full-grown normal D. capensis.

-Ben
    Last edited by Drosera36; 04-06-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Made the quote thingies different.
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that thing was tiny when I sent it to you.

Mine died back when I stuck it in full sun lmao. It's coming back though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol it ate like two huge house flies. I might have to force this sucker to go into dormancy so I have room in winter, even though they don't go dormant....

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when my D. 'Albino' (whatever you want to call it...capensis alba...) got too big i binned the plant and took some roots and i have 3 plants from that. besides... you can distribute the roots if you were to do that,
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow!
    What a healthy looking capensis. Do you do anything special to get it looking good? Maybe catching horse-flies or giant beetles for a snack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice lookin' plant! Didn't know there was such a things as a "Giant" Capensis. Looks like there is though.
    I love Capes! Another overlooked plant cause of it's widespread availability but I still say it's one of the best of the Dews...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Heh, yeah it's eaten two house flies so far, plus I'm sure some other stuff. I think just the fact that I gave it a large pot is what made it grow so big so fast.

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you post a picture with a ruler near the longest of the dewy leaves? I want to see how mine compares (I don't have a giant I don't think, I just have some seed from someone on here). But, mine last night ate a big bug, looks maybe like a male lightning bug. I thought it was too big and that it'd just mutilate the goo. I tried to pull it off but it grabed the leaf tight, so I decided to do it later when it let go. Well, an hour later I looked and it was held fast. 3 of the legs and an antennae were stuck. This morning I checked again and every hair on that leaf is holding the bug (but only about half is actually touching the bug, the other half are all stuck together holding 3 legs in one place). It is too low, I was trying to bend another leaf to hold it but the others are all long so that didn't work ;-)

I love D. Capensis, the stuff is impossible to kill. Trust me, I can kill a CP no problem. I went about 2 weeks without watering because I had run out of distilled water and lost 3 of my kinds of sundews, now I have only capensis. I have them indoors but I also have some other plants so I have gnats in the soil. Well, I have many FEWER gnats now that my drosera is flourishing again ;-) I have had two flowers, right now another of the plants is putting up the flower stalk.

What is sad about my story though is out of the two flower sets I had I had a ton of seed, I planted them and so far have only had two plants come up. There were gnats in the peat though, I wonder if maybe they ate the seeds? I don't really know, all I know is not a lot have sprouted yet. I am trying to get several square feet of capensis though. I need to expand my drosera repetoire though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast