Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hardy Drosera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardy Drosera?

I’ve been unable to find a suitable answer on the Net so I thought I’d ask my multi-part question here…

1. Which Drosera are capable of holding their sticky nectar out of a terrarium?

2. If one lives in a medium-to-low humidity area of the US (Zone 5 in fact), which Drosera are good at living indoors as a houseplant??

3. Is there a great difference in the abilities of the temperate and tropical species for “holding their juice”??

I guess I’m looking for some hardy species that would be good for a beginner.

Thanks,
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    I’ve been unable to find a suitable answer on the Net so I thought I’d ask my multi-part question here…

1. Which Drosera are capable of holding their sticky nectar out of a terrarium?

2. If one lives in a medium-to-low humidity area of the US (Zone 5 in fact), which Drosera are good at living indoors as a houseplant??

3. Is there a great difference in the abilities of the temperate and tropical species for “holding their juice”??

I guess I’m looking for some hardy species that would be good for a beginner.

Thanks,
    1. All species. They do not grow in terraria in their natural habitats. As long as the conditions are sufficient they should grow. It all depends on where you live. A terrarium just provides a microclimate that you can to a certain extent control light, humidity/moisture and temperature. If I were living on the northern coastal region of Western Australia I could grow petiolaris complex Drosera in my backyard.

2. Temperate species and sub-tropicals. You live in the natural range of Drosera rotundifolia, and perhaps D. intermedia and D. anglica. Why not grow them outdoors? D. rotundifolia may not be a good beginners plant because it seems to spend half of the time in dormancy but if you can get hold of the 'Charles Darwin' cultivar it should be a lot easier growing. Otherwise look at the suggestions in the linked thread above.

3. Given the sufficient growing conditions there is probably very little difference between species.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    abilities of the temperate and tropical species for “holding their juice”??
    : Not too much.

You should grow D. Capensis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's more important is having enough good light and clean H2O for the little guys. I'm partial to growing indoors due to my frustration w/ crittters. It's a control thing I suppose D. capensis would be a good starter for you, check out the ICPS website too for more ideas.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a newby i killed more Drosera in the enclosed high humidity of a terrarium than due to any other cause. lots of light plus good air circulation is best. keep teh soil wet via a water tray and all should do good. mine have no problem holding their dew when the cold and central air drop the ambient humidity in my house to 15%. good light does more for dew production than most anything else ive found, for me atleast
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/