Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Drosophyllum lusitanicum germination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBay almost always has some.

By the way Steve... I forgot to ask, how do you water them? Do you use the submersion method? (just dipping the pot in water)
    Growlist
    I'm back?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle,
    I do not submerge the pot.
    Now that the plants are so small I use a spray bottle to water them. Actually I used to use a spray bottle. I now use a 1 gallon pressure sprayer on my plants. Works great.
    Once the plant gets larger I will top water.

I've been thinking of making a post just on the pressure sprayer because it might not be something others have thought about. It is so much nicer then a spray bottle that has to be filled up a few times, and almost no control while spraying. Best $10.00 I've spent plant related in a long time.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap.
    I killed the small plant today.

I went into work today 5:30 - 10:30 AM. When I got home I placed both plants outside around 11:00 after watering them. I went back outside to water the other outdoor plants around 5:00 PM. At the time I took a quick look to make sure both Dewy Pines where doing OK, since they usually are not out in full sun that long yet. The larger plant was fine, but the smaller plants roots must not be as deep. It was a little dried up plant.
    I have a few seeds left to try. Next time I'll wait till the plant is a little bigger before letting it outside as long as I did.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww man.. that sucks.. I've been trying to germinate the two that I have outside. I lost sight of them since and doubt I'll be seeing any sign of them germinating anymore. It probably would've croaked soon after germinating anyways.. it's been way too hot. I might bring it back inside and just hope for a while. I know I'll be keeping the pot around since I bought it just for drosophyllum. Best not let it go to waste!

Good luck on your next try.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I got some seeds at the LACPS meeting. Jeremiah Harris of the Colorado CPS had given a bunch to Ivan Snyder for the seedbank when he toured SoCal a few months ago. Thanks Jeremiah!

Forbes has had considerable success germinating these, judging from the several pots of plants at the meeting.

Ivan Snyder told me that Forbes is just nicking the pointed end of the seed with a knife to scarify the seeds and sowing them on fine pure granite gravel in red clay pots. That's it.

Forbes tried various planting mixes and pure granite gravel gave superior results.

Now I just have to get some granite gravel and Ivan told me where to get all I want for free.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and that would be...? Alongside the road?

The seeds i found in my fridge.. I guess they kinda got buried in the vermiculite cuz I can't find them, lol. Stupid rain...
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have five seeds that I purchased but have no idea how "fresh" they are...

But what I'm wondering about is, what is the proper time of the year to be sowing and germinating D.lusitanicum??

Is it okay to start NOW in the middle of June or best wait 'til another time??
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKiento View Post
    ... and that would be...? Alongside the road?

The seeds i found in my fridge.. I guess they kinda got buried in the vermiculite cuz I can't find them, lol. Stupid rain...
    You got it. The San Bernadino Mountains are granite and the decomposing stuff slides down on to the roads. CalTrans just sweeps it onto the shoulders. Thinking back for years I've been hiking on this stuff as all the wash trails and riverbeds are covered with it.

It's kind of late in the season to germinate these but the Mediterranean climate of SoCal is close to their native climate so I'm not gonna wait.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast