Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newb with a Sundew

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most sundews don't grow in 100% humidity around-the-clock. The cubes just keep the plants alive long enough for a nursery to ship them to a store and have them sit on a dark shelf for a month or so without anyone having to water them. Really, it's an invitation for disease. Sundews need wet soil, not wet air. Without air circulation (and, in most cases, some top watering to circulate water in the soil) the plant can't respirate efficiently, and low air circulation and high humidity also conspire to promote the growth of pests like fungus.
    The thing about carnivorous plants is that they approach life as a plant differently than most houseplants. Most CPs come from nutrient-depleted areas, much of the time in areas that are such bad environments for typical plants that the CPs don't really have much competition beside for some low-lying seasonal brush. With lots of water and little or no shade, a plant can produce far more chemical energy (in the form of sugars and such) than it needs to grow and reproduce. Sundews depend on keeping their leaves dewy to catch prey, so you can bet that they're really, really good and taking up water and retaining it.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more light=more dew for the most part........ive noticed after stress some leaves will completely stop producing dew but the new leaves are really dew covered, so dont make a big deal about the current leaves not making dew.....watch for new growth and see if they produce dew. as a newbie i killed more sundews to the high humidity of a terrarium than to any other source. most sundews do not need high humidity. they want lots of light and good air circulation
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh also quick temperature changes, like from moderate to very cold makes the dew just fall off, as my binatas saw in the greenhouse....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roughly how long should I wait until I expect to see improvement with my sick sundew? I've been sitting it in direct sunlight all day long and then covering it in it's cube at night with a light over it until I go to bed usually between midnight and 2 am. Honestly, it either has been staying the same, or it's been getting worse. I think it's getting worse but I'm worried I might be biased by my anxiety about its condition. I've been doing everything right-- from what I've been told on this forum-- but I haven't seen any improvements and it's already been a week.

The plus is that no more leaves have died, but the dew content has diminished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm....what light? Is it getting any out side sunlight? Temps like too hot or cold? Not enough water....?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    Hmm....what light? Is it getting any out side sunlight? Temps like too hot or cold? Not enough water....?
    Outside direct sunlight, 75-85 degrees, and enough water to keep the pete moss damp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, throw the top of that cube of death away....Have you repoted? If not go ahead and do so. Second, seems like you are giving it an awful lot of light, plants have to rest to so you might look at cutting back on the hours of light. I give mine around 14 hrs a day. Now far a direct sunlight, I all most cooked mine in direct sun but once I moved it to and area that got indirect and adding fluorescent tubes it stated doing much better.

I also agree humidity plays no part in drew production, mine are growing at around 20% and dewing just fine. It did take some new growth before I started seeing a significant amount of dew.

When I water, I use distilled or the water that comes from the outside Air Conditioner drain pipe. After all, being in the south, I can fill a 5 gallon bucket in a day.. Plants seem to be loving it.

I hope this gives you some ideas as these are the ones my Sundews from Lowes are leaving and eating well by. Keep us posted. Hey do have ant pictures you could show us?

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only put on the cube top at night to fend off the cats. I'm using distilled water from the store and they it's getting 6-10 of direct sunlight. It was doing okay before I started giving it all the sunlight people kept suggesting and since I started that routine it's been dieing quicker and quicker. It's even stopped being able to accept the bloodworm I've been feeding it because it's been so unhealthy. This is aggravating to say the least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast