What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i want to get a sundew

im thinking about getting a drosera
theres the almost dead little ones at lowes and a pot with a sundew and vft
which is better?
is it good for a sundew to be n the same pot with a vft?
if the sundew starts sprouting flower stalks is it ok to cut it?
if it gets too long is it ok to cut the leaves?

I wouldn't bother with the almost dead ones unless you can get them at a reduced price (ask a manager). Those almost dead plants will likely soon be dead. Why disappoint yourself unless they are Drosera capensis?

VFTs and sundews are found together in the wild, usually Drosera rotundifolia, Drosera intermedia or Drosera capillaris. Although that's probably not one of those species with the VFT.

Seems like a nice bonus to me, two species at once - even better if it's the same price as the almost dead ones.

Usually it's best to luck out and buy these when they are fresh - recently arrived - better selection and in better health (but still stressed).

Trim the sundew flowers if you wish. Don't trim the leaves unless they are dead, the plant needs them for photosynthesis.

if its from lowes. its probably going to be D. adelae. it despises full and direct sun. loves the shade. likes having an open potting mix...like LFS or 2:1 peat & sand mix. its not that hard...but its one of the oddball CPs that likes thinks different than other normal sundews.
Alex

If I ever tried it in 2/1 peat/sand it would commit suicide lmao. I can't grow it on anything other than straight LFS.

I can't grow it period. It started to grow on my widowsil last last year but that's it. It sucks because I really like it. This year though, I'm trying it in the shade.

is it good to grow them outside?
the individual ones i c at stores r usually very small and have no dew on them
are the cape sundews easy to grow?

woops. i mean 2:1 sand peat mix :D mine grow in that mix. its very open.
Alex

geffcardo, yes, you could easily grow cape sundews and vfts outdoors year round in Oxnard, CA. They'd be very happy out in the full sun all year long!

Max

I have a D. adelae, they like bright light, no direct sun unless very early morning. They are very good at catching fungus gnats!

Tom

D. adelae and capensis are excellent window sill plants and will flower for ya. But as Max says, your climate is conducive to outside growing.

Back