Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D. peltata, my first tuberous!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I was given seeds and sprouted them. One managed to climb a bit. Then came summer and they disapeared. I was reassured it was just their dormancy thing and they would reappear in the fall. Not! I've got another batch started from seeds.

I'm still not sure what to do or what to expect, having failed the first time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you dry out the pots during the summer dormancy? Theyr'e not supposed to survive staying wet all year (though apparently D. petlata sometimes can.)

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't dry them out, not knowing they required it. Maybe that was the issue with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love tuberous drosera and have peltata seeds and everything for tc but baby food jars!
    Where can I find baby food jars that are not $1 a piece! On other news I got stung 7 times from a wasp nests and it could have been life threatening becuase just one sting will make that limb swell up like my hand that got stung at the beach 3 days ago it looked like a water ballon,So now I feel weird from benadryl: and this other thing and hope I don't get really swollen and have to take steroids. Back on tuberous drosera what temps can they handle when growing I really want to try some in 50% ms media with PPM but the temps can hit 80F should I wait I could try in a cool place in the house or do they need special treatment for peltata seeds?

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tubers that I gave Max came to me as hitchhikers in a VFT pot. While in my care they recieved the exact same treatment as all of my vft's, meaning, outdoors in full sun and watered daily throughout the spring-fall. Summer temps into the 100's on occasion and winter lows into the 20's on the coldest nights.

I have several plants of this species that have popped up from seeds that were blown into my vft mini-bog and they grow just as well as the pot that gets "proper" seasonal treatment.

There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Steve! I forgot those just came in with some vfts! Did you get them at D'Amato's place? Everything I ever get when I go there comes with a bunch of hitchhiker plants, but never any tuberous drosera. He has seed blowing around that place all the time.

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I got both the original VFT with the hitchhikers you got, and the larger pot of just D. peltata, from Phil.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    I love tuberous drosera and have peltata seeds and everything for tc but baby food jars!
    Where can I find baby food jars that are not $1 a piece!
    Know anyone with a baby? If so, they probably have jars out the wazoo. Just ask for some.

Nice plants guys. I still haven't got brave enough to try my hand at killi....uhhh...growing those.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast