What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.I.P. D. capillaris x rotundifolia

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
It looks like my Drosera capillaris "Pasco Giant" x rotundifolia "Evergrow" croaked like the froggy here. It was growing like gangbusters then a week or so ago the leaves except the crown just dried up. I thought it had gone dormant for some reason, both D. capillaris & D. rotundifolia often go into brief periods of semi-dormancy.

Yesterday I noticed the crown was shriveling and turning brown. The plant was on a west facing windowsill and I think the roots got cooked during the unusual hot weather we had a week or two ago. :crap:

I amy be able to help you with a replacement, or at least seeds. I got a plant from Capslock last year and it is thriving. I'll take an updated photo.

IMG_0057.jpg

I think it's an infertile hybrid - at least the owner of the nursery that I got it from said it is.

There were a couple dozen unidentified seedlings in the pot with it, most of those got overgrown with moss and maybe 1/2 a dozen survived. No idea what species or hybrid they are - too young yet to ID. I tried transplanting a few of those before but the moss came along with them and choked them regardless.

I should have tried a few leaf cuttings - just didn't get around to it. Maybe you can start a cutting or send a couple leaf cuttings.

I should have tried a few leaf cuttings - just didn't get around to it. Maybe you can start a cutting or send a couple leaf cuttings.

Leaf cuttings are foolproof for this hybrid. I've never seen leaf cuttings "strike" so fast with 100% success before. Anyway, PM me if you are looking for a plant if you need one still and we'll work something out.

regards,

Homer

I was given two plants, so I have an extra plant to spare, if you'd like.

Back