Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with this!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What should I do with this!!!!!

Hi everyone, I just turned 15 and on my birthday my grandma
    bought me a Sundew plant... or octopus plant.
    Thats what it says on the paper.

It came in a small plastic pot and it was wrapped in plastic.
    Can someone give me some tips on how to care for it? I was looking on other websites and it just comfused me.

kinda looks like this.

sorry if its too blurry

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums! Describe the soil to us. Does it look like regular potting soil with fertilizer? Does it look like it has white rock type things in it? Perlite?

I looks like a Drosera capensis. You should have no trouble growing it by a window. Depending on what it is potted in you may want to put it in a new pot of new stuff like peat and perlite or clean sand. Not playground sand.

You should also only use distilled water or rainwater. If you repot it make sure there arer holes in the bottom of the oopt and then you cna put the pot and plant in a tray of distilled water. This way the water gets sucked up into the soil mixture and simulaters a bog like environment.

Also, you won't need a cover or antyhing like that over hte plant.

Welcome, again!

xvart.

edit: And happy birthday!
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. capensis is a trooper. it wont die for you if it gets proper care happy birthday! and welcome to the forums.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday. It grows very well at a sunny window sill, with the pot sitting in a plastic container of distilled water. Just give it light, water, and keep uncovered.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is a Drosera capensis from Booman Floral in the 'sock' as I call it. They are normally planted in Canadian peat moss sometimes with the roots wrapped in LFS and a touch of large perlite in the mix. Booman's says they size their plants so you can leave them for a year before repotting.

My experience with Booman's plants is that they are very healthy plants (if not dried out from neglect in the stores).

Just take the twisty off the top and open the plastic bag funnel/sock and give the plant some distilled water. After a couple days remove the sock. The small plastic tray on the bottom of the pot should just snap off and you can carefully slide off the bag like taking off a sock. Or carefully cut it off with a scissors, taking care not to cut the plant. I'd discard the tray and use something else for a bottom tray. If you've removed the sock already no matter.

If you follow the care instructions on the card you will do well. They are pretty much right on the money for basic sundew care.

Drosera capensis or "Cape Sundew" are relatively easy to grow and is a perfect beginners plant.

Enjoy your first sundew and Happy Birthday

PS: I hope you don't mind me hijacking the link to your photo for the thread on Lowes plant IDs
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    Welcome to the forums! Describe the soil to us. Does it look like regular potting soil with fertilizer? Does it look like it has white rock type things in it? Perlite?

I looks like a Drosera capensis. You should have no trouble growing it by a window. Depending on what it is potted in you may want to put it in a new pot of new stuff like peat and perlite or clean sand. Not playground sand.

You should also only use distilled water or rainwater. If you repot it make sure there arer holes in the bottom of the oopt and then you cna put the pot and plant in a tray of distilled water. This way the water gets sucked up into the soil mixture and simulaters a bog like environment.

Also, you won't need a cover or antyhing like that over hte plant.

Welcome, again!

xvart.

edit: And happy birthday!
    Ugh. When I typed this last night I was having some serious low blood sugar, so sorry about the response. I wasn't drunk, lol. It was a little disorganized, but I think you all can get through the misspellings and redundancies...

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks everyone and to answer xvart questions: Describe the soil to us. Does it look like regular potting soil with fertilizer? Does it look like it has white rock type things in it? Perlite?

the soil is all mossy,damp and it has green things growing at th bottom, no it does not look like regular potting soil, um no white rock things.

I also have another question, Where can I buy Non-carbonated distilled water?
    Last edited by Peanut; 05-23-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: more questions :)
    I bet you're reading this huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    the soil is all mossy,damp and it has green things growing at th bottom, no it does not look like regular potting soil, um no white rock things.
    Good. It sounds like peat. And based on what NAN said you should be fine for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I also have another question, Where can I buy Non-carbonated distilled water?
    Check your local grocery store. You can buy distilled water for under a buck a gallon in milk jug looking things. Or even cheaper if you have a refillable thing.

xvart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast