Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spatulata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spatulata

a friend of mine sent me a spatulata. only, i know NOTHING about it. ive read some of the posts already so im beginning to pick a few things up. however, im still kinda confused if droseras have a dormancy period. if they're tropical, then why do they need to go dormant? can't i just grow the plant in a small aquarium with sufficient lighting throughout the year?
    Go White Sox!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -J Hendrix

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not have a dormancy period. You can grow it in full sun or in a terrarium with sufficient lighting (keyword here being sufficient).

Some tropical Drosera do have dormancies but don't equate dormancy with cold. Some go dormant when it's too hot and dry. This one can be grown year round. Some, like the petiolaris complex, can go dormant out of the blue or if they get stressed during shipping.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Clint says, they don't require a dormancy. This is an excellent beginner plant and does very well at a window sill, open tray method. It flowers every year and does not require special pollination to produce viable seeds. It also does asexual reproduction by forming baby plants.

The 6 plants from the left were all grown from the same clump of the original pot. All I did was separate plantlets from the perimeter and start a new pot. That took about 6 months to get this many plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought what was labeled a small Drosera Spatulata over the summer. It is bit over an inch in diameter and lives next to a bright windowsill, along with my other CP's, facing East.

Fall has arrived and the air is cool but I'm still getting quite a bit of sun. I leave my window open during the day so that all my CP's get a bit of breeze. Recently, all of the sticky leaves dried up and turned brown. What is left, are a few green nubby things in the center. From what I've been able to research, this darn thing has gone dormant.

My only guess is that this sundew is NOT a spatulata, or I've just treated it so badly that it hates me and decided to uncharacteristically go dormant. Can someone point me to a sundew that this could be, or post a link of some sundews that are in a state of dormancy so I can compare? I tried using the search function here and have not been able to find a thread that will directly help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Courtney and welcome to TF. D. spatulata indeed does not go dormant. Like any other plant, it can react to something that went past its comfort zone. Could be an abrupt change in tenperature or humidity or accidental poisonung of the soil or water. And depending upon the health of the given plant at the time, the slightest thing can set it over the edge.

I would suggest posting a picture, but the "before" pic would be the most useful and likely not existing. Where did you get it? Lowes? Home Depot? Online. You can click on the my Photobucket links below and see if anything looks close enough.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ott/?start=all

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...006/?start=all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply!
    I do have a "before" pic! I hope it's clear enough to help me confirm that it is a spatulata.

Last edited by xvart; 10-21-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: removed vendor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks a lot like my Drosera Spathulata that I received from a different vendor. By the way, we are not allowed to mention CP vendors on here. If you see this before a mod does, you should just edit that out. Oh and I am pretty sure they supplied you with a correctly labeled species, they're pretty consistent at doing so.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really does look like a D. spatulata. I'd bet anyone's bottom dollar on that! If you need a replacemant, just give a hollar. The plants in the plastic container were at a lab in which I worked. They had a SE window sill. They did well enough but remained green. In contrast, this is what they could look like in full sun:

Same plant, under artificial lighting:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast