Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easiest Drosera to Grow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    I have a bad problem with killing things like alacie by giving it to much sun too fast
    keep it!!! aliciae comes up from the roots like capensis and adelae do!
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humpf...

The one I'm having trouble with is D. spatulata 'Frasier Island'.

Since I bought it, the three little plantlets are dewless and kinda brown on the edges.

And they sit right next to adelae, aliciae and capensis which are all healthy and full of dew.

Weird thing is that it's throwing up a couple flower stalks.

I think a re-potting is in order for Mr. Frasier. Some fresh soil might do him some good.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. capensis is near unkillable. I can't grow D. adelae outdoors. It needs humidity and can't take much sun.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beginners collection ? Hmmmm
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a droseraguy!
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd advise that you learn to grow your Drosera from seed vs buying plants which were grown in conditions different from those you have. Plants grown from seed always seem healthier and happier since the weak die off and the rest are preadapted to your own conditions. The added plus is that you get many plants with which to experiment, trade and share. It's also cool to be a part of the whole process, sort of like seeing a movie from the start instead of halfway through. Seed is often available for far less money and the shipping is just a stamped envelope. I wrote out the whole process awhile back and I think it's still around in the article section.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I killed it a long time ago but my venusta has long roots but will die,
    does anyone have a suggested course of action? Do I put when the crown dies cut up the roots then lay under a small amount of peat?
    It needs to die down then come out again,I guess coming from hawaii was too much for it
    Last edited by jm82792; 06-21-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: The auction wnet way too high for the life spagnum,I would like a small start for my CP bog because I am cash strapped :(

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin Dawnstar View Post
    I'd advise that you learn to grow your Drosera from seed vs buying plants which were grown in conditions different from those you have. Plants grown from seed always seem healthier and happier since the weak die off and the rest are preadapted to your own conditions. The added plus is that you get many plants with which to experiment, trade and share. It's also cool to be a part of the whole process, sort of like seeing a movie from the start instead of halfway through. Seed is often available for far less money and the shipping is just a stamped envelope. I wrote out the whole process awhile back and I think it's still around in the article section.
    Once I got beyond what Lowes & Home Depot were selling, I was scarfing up the Trading Post offerings, most of which were pigmy sundew gemmae and various seeds. Maybe not all were successes but many were and some of the those germinated / sprouted seeds and gemmae produced flowers and gemmae themselves. Those plants indeed were stronger and more acclimated than straight up plants that came from others.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast