Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on drosera venusta Care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Help on drosera venusta Care

i am a beginner and i want to know the basic care of a d. venusta and what kind of terrarium i should use.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The basics for temperate/sub-tropical sundew are pretty much the same for most temperate subtropic CPs.

Soil/Potting mix - must be nutrient poor/free, mineral free, slightly acid - sphagnum peat moss is ideal additives like sand, perlite, pumice lightens the mix allow better drainage etc.

Water - must be mineral/chemical free - rain water, distilled water, water purified by Reverse Osmosis (RO water), your tap water may be good, depending on your locality. Check with other CP growers in your area or get an analysis of the water.

Sunlight - most CPs grow in wet, acidic bogs which most shade plants do not. They like/need plenty of direct sunlight. There are exceptions.

Temperature/Humidity - temperate and sub-tropical sundews have a wide tolerance for these. As long as you don't expose them to extremes of temps for long or keep the roots from overheating they should be ok. Humidity is not as much as an issue if you keep them well watered. Temperatures become an issue if the plants need cool/cold dormancy.

Drosera venusta should be able to be grown on a window sill or outdoors in most temperate climate. Morning sun or partial shade throughout the day seems to suit them well. Keep them in a tray of water with an inch or so of water. Tall pots appear to work better for them, but shorter pots are ok. They should feed themselves outdoors but you want you can feed them small insect (ants, flies, etc.), or bits of rewetted freeze-dried bloodworm.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! I'm no expert on D. venusta, but I can tell you that the plant I received a half year ago was looking a little rough for a few months while it adjusted to its conditions. Mine is NOT in a terrarium. It is in with a bunch of other sundews, in a plastic storage container, under a shoplight, that is ~6" above the setup (open tray method). I think its improvement was just providing halfway decent and stable conditions. Here's what it looks like:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do you label them like that?
    I bet you're reading this huh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't I just reply to this one? Yeah, a terrarium is what people think CP's need to be in. Only a relatively few thrive in a terrarium. Most do well at window sills or under artificial lighting, with its pot sitting in a plastic container of distilled water.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like what, specifically? Not sure what you are observing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What typ of shop light?
    I am considering doing
    what your doing for your semi
    tropical dews since I have some
    seeds and going to get some plants.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are in a 1:1 Peat: perlite mix on my porch rail on the east side of my house. They get about 6 hours of direct sun between 8:30am and 2:30pm. They are dark red in color now. I use the tray method for watering.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast