What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance leaf sundew Problems

Just put it in a sunny window and give it some distilled water. Then wait.

xvart.

My D. adelae(s) get bright filtered west window light and grow like gangbusters! One is sending up a flower spike now as well. They are experts at catching fungus gnats!

Tom

Laura O'Neal brought this tray of D. adelae to the LACPS meeting. It started out as one bigger plant and a few pups. She grows them under lights:
P6160112.jpg

Laura O'Neal brought this tray of D. adelae to the LACPS meeting. It started out as one bigger plant and a few pups. She grows them under lights:
P6160112.jpg

Awesome!

wow very nice, my doesnt look very well compared to yours then...

For now, I give it morning sun for like 2-3 hours and then I give it artifical light with 1.3k lumens for 3-4 hours at night.

Is this ok?

5-7 hours photoperiod are you saying?

Yikes. Even dormant temperate plants get more than that.

If that IS your photoperiod a photoperiod of 13-16 hours would be good. 10-13 if you get morning sun however, but, don't cut the photoperiod up, keep it contiguous then cut it off then contiguous again like a normal day and night sort of thing.

Well, like all Drosera the plant is adaptable. In habitat, this is a more "woodland" species, unlike many of the Australian species which grow in much harsher conditions. But it is adaptable, has to be considering what the climate is like in Oz! I've grown the plant in about 40% humidity and in full sun but the process of acclimation needs to be SLOW, especially if it is a greenhouse produced unit as this appears to be. So go for wet, cool and bright and as the plant gets a deeper "suntan" you can give it more direct light.

Growing in a terrarium under lights can produce some real monster sized plants, but they will have less color. Keep it going long enough and you'll have endless plants from the roots where they form, and then you can experiment and see which culture is better for you.

I used to grow my nepenthes ventrisoca red in hawaii in the sun ALL day long it took time but it was happy there while anothe unkown species did not ever like full sun many because it did not tan up like the other nep. Right now my cape is adjusting it's stems are turning red and still keeping dew with 50 degree drops. Could someone supply pics of the other 2 sister sundews? I am wanting to get all 3 from someone if I can find somone who grows them

how will I know my plant is ready for full direct sunlight like my VFT?

It's not a Dionaea and should not be put into direct sunlight.

it may be adaptable, but it is VERY delicate when it comes to shifting it's environment. More than likely, your plant will die if you put it in full sun. Best to grow it on a windowsill, if a terrarium is not available.

it may be adaptable, but it is VERY delicate when it comes to shifting it's environment. More than likely, your plant will die if you put it in full sun. Best to grow it on a windowsill, if a terrarium is not available.

Agreed. Bright, indirect light is all it needs light wise.

Tom

I have to agree with the Bright indirect light. I tried growing mine in direct sun and ended up getting a replacement from Adnedarn. I now grow it in full sun in my south window and it's doing well. Mind you, it's one of those thermal windows that cut down on the UV and infrared light. So while it's bright, it lacks the punch of direct sunlight.

Ok, I'm going to try to get some perlite so I can replant it in a mixture instead of 100% peat moss. Also, does it matter if its a clay pot or plastic pot cause I read that plastic pots are better?

If I were to grow it by 100% artificial light, would a 27Watt 1300 Lumen light bulb which is on for 15 hours be enough for lance leaf sundews? and how far away should it be kept?

Generally plastic pots are considered best for most CPs. Clay pots can absorb minerals disolved in the water and then release them back into the peat when they are older. Or you can use a clay pot that has been sealed or glazed so that water can't soak into it's inner surface.

Ok, I'm going to try to get some perlite so I can replant it in a mixture instead of 100% peat moss. Also, does it matter if its a clay pot or plastic pot cause I read that plastic pots are better?

If I were to grow it by 100% artificial light, would a 27Watt 1300 Lumen light bulb which is on for 15 hours be enough for lance leaf sundews? and how far away should it be kept?
4-6 inches would be good I would think, but, the plant probably won't make much dew, it needs more light.

Light light light. A second bulb would be better, and they need to be fluorescent.

hmmm are you guys sure it needs more light cause all the old leaves look completly dried out which explains the lack of dew, im still waiting for the new leaves to fully develop to see if they have any dew

also, could some1 explain in detail about the amount of sun/light it needs

morning sun? so only morning sun from like when to when? and then means no sun at all after the times?

It's only been a week. They should be still dried out. They will stay this way from a lack of light.

ok so could some1 explain in detail the amount of light it needs cause just saying putting it on a sunny window doesnt help

ok so could some1 explain in detail the amount of light it needs cause just saying putting it on a sunny window doesnt help

Put it in a south or west window with a sheer (almost see through) curtain filtering out the Sun a bit. It's that simple.

Tom

Back