Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lance leaf sundew Problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lance leaf sundew Problems

My lance leaf sundew is growing but it isnt producing any dews at all on its leafs. I'm growing them in 100% spagaum peat moss in a tray of water with 100% humidity and in partial-full sun. What am I doing wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    may be the amount of light...or the soil mix. adelae likes it a bit open. like a 2:1 sand: peat mix.it also dosent like a bunch of light. but i wonder...how is it getting 100% humidity AND that kind of light?
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "lance leaved sundew" do you mean Drosera capensis? If so, the humidity may be too high, especially if in a terrarium? Sounds like you have enough light but if the plant is enclosed the high temps might have bothered it. High humidity without air circulation also can encourage a fungal attack, which also results in dewlessness. You might try mixing a little silica sand with that pure peat, straight peat can get very compact affecting the roots and may also lead to such a decline. In general Drosera like good humidity, fresh air and sunlight and not too hot. It's never easy to diagnose a problem since many factors can lead to the condition you describe. You might try repotting into a 50/50 mix since repotting is sort of like restarting the computer and may fix whatever ails it. Do you have a photo of your plant? I might be able to tell more with one. Good luck in any regards!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a plastic container over it and a tray of water which creates 100% humidity. The sun gives about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight and 2-3 shadded/indirect sunlight due to trees. I dont have any pelite or silica sand so peat will have to do.

From what you guys are saying, should I keep the plant outdoors in the sun with lid or no lid? or bring it inside and grow it by artifical light?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think she means D. adelae. This is why I don't like common names.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a Drosera adelae or D. capensis? D. adelae have long somewhat pointed leaves with tentacles along almost the whole length. D. capensis has long thin rectangular leaves with a long round petiole.

D. adelae like partial sun (dappled). D. capensis can take full sun.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure that he/she means D. adelae.

Forget about humidity when it comes to D. adelae because it's not very important. I have 2 HUGE plants that live on normal room temperature humidity. and they're incredibly dewy and fast growing. Cool temps ARE important however.. mine never gets above 75 degrees. Too much heat will definitely keep it from producing dew, it used to happen to my old one a lot when I had it outside. I keep hearing over and over that humidity often has nothing to do with dew production, but sufficient light does. So there may not be enough light.. but I'd bet that it's more of a heat problem, what are the temps like where you live?

Also, never ever grow a plant outside with a cover on it unless it's very cool, but it's still unnecessary even then. I'm sure there is plenty humidity for it outside without the cover.

I agree with Tamlin on repotting it, but if you lack the supplies then I guess it will have to suffice.

I'd recommend growing your adelae inside on a sunny windowsill or under lights, I can't tell for sure because I don't know what your climate is like.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I've grown D. adelae in ultra lowland conditions and it was dew-laden. Day's in the 90's for months on end and nights in the 80's didn't bother it at all.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast