Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf tips turning brown... why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf tips turning brown... why?

I've only had my cape sundews for a couple months, and heck I thought these were the easiest. They (one narrow leaf and one red) have been doing what I thought was great until recently. The tips of some leaves are starting to go brown and then dry. This is even affecting leaves that haven't fully opened. Dew production is also down compared to what they were producing a week ago. The plants look fine otherwise - the narrow leaf is ready to flower any day. I even thought maybe that had something to do with it, but the red leaf isn't mature so flowering isn't a factor there.

They're both in standing, distilled water. They are directly under appropriate CFL lighting for about 16 hours a day.

What could be causing this? Now that I took a close look, it appears to be affecting most of the new leaves, so I'm worried. Should I remove the damaged leaves as soon as they show any signs of this happening, or does that not matter? I haven't removed any yet.

Thanks for helping me save my "weeds"! (I love em anyway, they were my first sundew.)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should be outside in full sun, and it's hard to say without knowing more. A picture would be nice.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there a significant change in their conditions? Have they recently been moved? That would cause a reaction. Other than that, perhaps a recent watering may have been contaminated? I would make sure the water you have, as well as the soil, are clean by flushing the pot. And then I wouldn't make any other changes, as that could set it over the edge. BTW, should it die, myself and I'm sure many others would love to unload.... I mean provide a suitable replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine did that for a while after they came from hawaii they are not doing it anymore just nice dewy leafs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem when I put it in direct sunlight but all the new leaves that are made aren't turning brown so I think my new leaves have adapted to the more sunlight

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could be old leaves, too. All leaves will eventually die.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far, though I'm still at a loss. I got these plants at the very beginning of May. They took about a week or two to recover from shipping but seemed to be doing great with lots of dew and color after that. They haven't had any change in environment since they arrived.

I took a few pics...

See the leaf on the far left (about 1/2 brown) and on the right (about 1/5 brown).

The tip of the leaf with 1/5 dead. Note that the lighting washed out the colors.

And one of my newer leaves that hasn't even finished uncurling yet, and is going brown... This is happening to several.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see the one that's going brown before it uncurls, but just looks like old dieing growth to me.

That plant needs more light. Your little energy saver bulbs aren't cutting it I'm afraid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast