Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sundew Artifical Lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to get 1000 watt halide light electricity is cheap and I want to grow subtropical dews,highlander neps and tuberous drosera I know they cost like $200 but after a while the cost will be forgotten. I am going to get a small greenhouse setup like 12X12 or something around those lines enough light to stop neps from the winter slurrs,grow tuberous close up to the light along with whatever else. Being in zne 7 I think heating would be minimal to keep what i said above.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 dollars? I wouldn't go cheap and buy one of those "econo-grow" systems. Lighting is something you don't skimp on, and I wouldn't go bigger than an 8 by 8 growing space for best performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new leaves on my D.aledea are dying back before they can fully grow.

SO whats wrong and how do I fix it?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You learn some patience and wait for it to recover from being in so much sun. It could die back down to the roots and return, so if it dies don't throw it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I've grown sundews in the past I've used two different (and successful) setups. One had two 42 watt warm white light compact flourescents and one had two 30 watt daylight compact flourescents. Both setups yielded incredibly dewy Drosera. It's probably also important to mention that each of those setups were in 10 gallon terraria.

In fact, when it comes to most sundews, I prefer to use the compact flourescents. I get sundews with awe-inspiring reaction times. I distinctly remember growing some crazy D. capensis, D. burmanii and D. scorpiodes in these setups that would waste no time pouncing on an insect. I would place a bug on the leaf and within 30 seconds (literally) I could see the tentacles moving in towards the prey, and this included the leaf! Now this may not be surprising for species like D. burmanii and D. scorpiodes since they're known for their fast tentacle movement, but D. capensis?! It was awesome!

So yes, compact flourescents are great for sundews, especially if you want ones that will give even the fastest and strongest bugs a run for their money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awsome, so how long will it take for my sundew to heal?

Sarracenia in another life.... rockstarcobain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be patient, and leave them alone. They will get better. It could take days, or weeks.
    It is better to burn out, than to fade away....

Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108495

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lighting is something you don't skimp on,........Put them outside......You CAN grow them under a fluorescent lighting, but even then I'd still tell you they need more light.....
    guess i wont detail my cheap **** set-up than..........been working for what? 3 or 4 years now its actually pretty amazing what cheap 4 foot florecents will get yah kinda suck for large Neps and Heli's but Drosera are easy
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast