Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sundew Artifical Lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sundew Artifical Lighting

For most sundews like capensis, aldedea, capillaris, and anglica, to use fluorescent lighting, would a 40 Watt/100 watt equivalent compact fluorescent bulb be enough if left on for a photoperiod of 10-15 hours? If not, what bulb would be needed?

And, to germinate seeds, is the 40 watt ok and how long does it need to be on?

Thanks

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put them all outside except for the D. adelae. That's the answer. The adelae can do fine under the 40 watt lamp, more is better though, within reason. A windowsill is good for the D. adelae, too. The later two will need a dormancy.

And the equivalent of the PC bulb doesn't matter. You CAN grow them under a fluorescent lighting, but even then I'd still tell you they need more light. I'd say absolutely no less tan 4, 40 watt lamps, and that's real fluorescent lamps. Those power compacts suck because their double helix shape leads to lots of restrike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so lets say a 40 watt is used, on a score from 0-100 what would it score? and then how about a 55 or 60 watt bulb? and what about the seeds, how long do they need light?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With zero being dead and 100 being a full sun grown plant, I'd say .... 20.

With a higher wattage, you'll get more light but you'll still have restrike. Put them outside.

The seeds (assuming it's nothing particularly special) you can germinate under your energy saver light. The heat from the lamp is the main thing that will help them to germinate. 12-16 hours I guess.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two four foot two tube standard shop light fixtures is what most people use. Around 16 hour photo period in summer, 10-12 in winter. Ivan Snyder grows all his Drosera indoors under such a setup. His plants are beautiful. Just your basic plant shelf setup.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89189

Sunlight is free, use as much of it as you can and save money and natural resources.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Two four foot two tube standard shop light fixtures is what most people use. Around 16 hour photo period in summer, 10-12 in winter. Ivan Snyder grows all his Drosera indoors under such a setup. His plants are beautiful. Just your basic plant shelf setup.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89189

Sunlight is free, use as much of it as you can and save money and natural resources.
    I am just preparring for college in case my room gets no sun but right now, my d.adelea is in sun with my VFT but my sundew is doing terrible, all the leaves are turning brown including the new ones so I'm moving it inside for now, but at least my VFT is doing amazing.

SO whats wrong and how do I fix it? The new leaves on my D.aledea are dying back before they can fully grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use two 40 watt(shoplight) sitting on 10 gallons, and things look fine. I really should start cutting up the mylar I bought years ago to side the tanks with.
    Where do you live, Overmind? That would tell you whether you could put them outside. They would not look good here-low humidty and high wind.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Island

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast