Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petiolaris Complex Dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petiolaris Complex Dormancy?

Hiya

I'm sure there's some threads about this somewhere...I have supposedly one of the most difficult of the wooly sundews to put through dormancy. I would appreciate any info about when and how to do it. Thanks!
    Here's a pic of it earlier today:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which one? You should not induce dormancy. They will let you know on their own when they are going into dormancy. The leaves start shrinking, some will turn brown, others maintain a green center that grows ever so slowly.

There are several ways to bring them through dormancy. I keep mine moist in a warm humid tank.

Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warm humid tank eh? Sounds good, shouldn't be too hard. I own only a Falconeri, but I plan to get quite a few more varieties. I heard that Falconeri's turn brown when they go dormant. I tried to post a photo I took today but... ...yeah it didn't work...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok there...pic posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeff, nice pic of D. falconeri! It looks like a 2 crown plant!
    Yes, this one tends to die back all the way to the center. In fact i will appear dead.
    My suggestion is to put it in a covered container while dormant. I use those clear plastic cups, one on top of each other.
    When ready you will see the tiniest signs of life in the very center.
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Peter said, this species will die dack to form a dormant bulb. Preceeding it the leaves will progressively get smaller, a process often dubbed "the inward spiral". WHen you notice this you should start letting the pot dry out slowly. In the wild this species is said to encounter full on dried soil basically to the point of being encased in a brick. However, it seems to fare better in cultivation if you leave the media a little bit damp. Peter's method would work fine as would about a dozen others I could think of off the top of my head. My technique is to just raise the pot out of the water in the tank by placing it on a styrofoam block. Dormancy can last anywhere from 1-8 months so be patient. If you do not see anything after 6 months you can gently unpot the plant and look for the bulb. If it is still there then repot it and wait. Sometimes the unpotting will actually stimulate return to growth.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How often does D. falconeri go into dormancy? Is it once a year? Every 2 years Do they need a dormancy to survive as some types of Drosera do? I am thinking of getting one in the future and looking into. I was told they only go into dormancy when stressed? If so then how long can grow without dormancy??

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the wild petiolaris complex go dormant once a year during the dry season. The dry season is winter in the tropical zones of Australia they grow in if I'm not mistaken.

In cultivation they often go dormant when stressed, which for paradoxa and maybe falconeri could be just looking at them funny.

According to Peter D'Amato petiolaris complex does not require dormancy and will continue to grow if kept warm and well watered. AFAIK no one on this forum has confirmed this.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast