Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ugh, now what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well unless my girlfriend is doing something I have no idea what chemical it could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a light burn to me. chemical burns(ill get a pic tomorrow of one) make the tentacle heads black. these looks wited and burned. i say to much light to fast.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe spider mites?

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05507.html
    Following severe infestations, leaves become discolored, producing an unthrifty gray or bronze look to the plant. Leaves and needles may ultimately become scorched and drop prematurely. Spider mites frequently kill plants or cause serious stress to them.

See Joseph's note under the photo:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...21&postcount=8
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know, now that you mention mites i do see little tiny bugs every once in a while, they're very very small and i'd say a light yellow/brown color. They've been around my plants before and I never really gave them a second thought, but maybe that's what is going on. I'll get a magnifying glass and examine the adelae today.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could be springtails which are pretty much harmless. Springtails are rather shy and will scurry, hop away when disturbed.

Spider mites are normally on the undersides of the leaves and you need at least 10x magnifier to ID them positively. One test is to put piece of white paper under leaf or two and tap the leaf sharply. If you see tiny dots that are moving around they are probably spider mites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i went and inspected the plant. I looked under one leaf and some small specks and looked under the mag. glass and they were moving some of them. I squashed them all with my finger, then in looking around i found more on tops of leaves too. These didn't look like spider mites though, they were red in color from what i could tell, not yellow. But they were defintley mites. The leaves are a "bronze" as the article says so i'm leaning towards mites. Should i try to get a picture of one of them for a positive ID of the species?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red spider mites are pretty common. Spider mites come in many colors, yellow, brown, red, black, two-spotted. Drown them for a few days or use a mitecide. I don't know which mitecide to recommend though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've been attempting to drown the mites. Not really sure how but i've been tipping the plant over and flushing water all over it. Also removing mites by hand. The plant seems to be growing a new leaf or two, hopefully they develop normally and turn green.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast