Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosophyllum Damage

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CP30 View Post
    My 5 yr old son shattered both pots of my drosophyllum today (it was slack potted). Any ideas on what the survival chances MIGHT be?
    The plant or the son?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    The plant or the son?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant or the son?
    LOL!
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant or the son?

LOL!! I must say the thought came to me when I was listeneing to his soft scared voice on my voice mail. But within 10 seconds I realized that it was just him being a 5 year old BOY: destructive.

Remember my reports over the years of the damage he has caused? When he was 3 he had an affinity for my plant tags and "collected most of them one day. Hence, my questions about sarr ID's:
    Disaster! (4/16/05)
    Diaster! Continued (4/20/05)

When he was 4 he decided that the sarr flower bud were "AWESOME!" he collected many of those through the spring and summer......

Well, this year it is the search for hidden bugs and critters. He is turning everything over to see what is underneath. I guess the weight of a concrete urn with a bowl of water and a 14" Slack pot was more than he expected (and less than I expected...) Lesson learned.

I figure it is like Darwinism on a small scale. Those plants (and critters) that survive HIM deserve to be alive and will likely thrive in normal conditions. He culls the weak and makes the strong even stronger. He does me a great service in this way.

I wonder what troubles he will bring next year? Any guesses?

Anyway, I was surprised when I went to repot the dewy pine for which my wife had attempted immediate damage control. The entire top 3" of the soil (that was underneath a 1" layer of red lava rock) were completely held together by the roots as was a section about 6"deep and 3"around in the middle of the pot. I found numerous severed roots, but they must have only represented about 10% of total root mass. I was surprised by the amount of roots. With all I had read, I expected there to be a very limited root system not a mass of roots. I have noticed that my plant has survived strong winds where I have kept it. This may have contributed to the mass of surface roots.

The stem seems undamaged, even the 3 side shoots appeared to have been cushioned by the dead leaves.

I put the plant carefully in a slightly larger pot using the original mix (which now includes more lava rock and small shards of clay pot); I dosed it well with a strong Superthrive watering; and, today, I will put that pot into a 16" pot I just got for the Slack pot. I will try to get a shot after I finish the potting.
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you may "dodged a bullet". Great job with the troubleshoot!

I wonder what troubles he will bring next year? Any guesses?
    I am reliving my life has a pre-teen with your son's antics! Let me tell you some of the things I did:

1) I put a raw egg in the microwave. Within 10 seconds I heard a squeeky noise and then there was this explosion, with egg stuff all over the oven.

2) I once put both ends of a bare wire in the outlet. It had a miniature effect akin to "Doc Brown" connecting the Delorean to the bell tower, in Back To The Future.... only with much less success!

3) My dad had a machine shop in the basement and I accidently flipped a toggle swith that got a sander going. Not realizing why it was going I tried to stop the sander with my hand. Needless to say, that approach didn't work and my hand was bloodied.

Be forewarned.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12