Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard seed starting media for Drosera

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCK definitely meant that he uses little cups of R/O (or distilled) water to sprout them, thus the "fishing the seedlings out" part of his post. I'm going to have to try that if I ever end up with Darlingtonia seeds again, I've failed with the darn things several times on pretty much every medium there is, so it's going to have to be something I haven't tried that works for me, thanks for posting that BCK

For the record, for Drosera, peat/sand mix is what I use for EVERYTHING and it seems to work out fairly well. As long as you keep it wet enough, you really can use just about any mix of "CP approved" stuff for many species, especially sub-tropicals. I have NO experience with sprouting tuberous 'dews or petiolaris complex plants tho, only temperate and sub-tropical species so far
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germination media can pretty much be anything that most CPs grow on as long as it is nutrient poor, good moisture retention and neutral or slightly acidic.

Pure peat, standard "CP" mix, pure LFS or milled LFS. Lately I've been using pure LFS with excellent results. Finely milled LFS is ideal as it has all the properties listed above in addition it provides a somewhat uniform surface so the seeds don't fall into the crevices and has anti-fungal properties.

You only need 1/2-2 inches of media if you plan on transplanting the seedlings as soon as they get to a manageable size. Most temperate and sub-tropical Drosera will thrive in pure LFS. Tuberous Drosera I probably would not transplant until they've gone through at least one full growth cycle and formed good tubers. In that case I would germinate the seeds in the recommended medium mix and tall pots.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the deli cups at a local restuarant were they serve sour cream, salad dressing, and salsa in them. They hold about 2oz. and have a clear lid which makes it easy to see the seeds floating in the water and I don't have to worry about knocking one over and spilling it.

Mabudon, I used this method on the last batch of Darlingtonia seeds I tried (Thanks Stormbringer!!) and had about 95% germination. I've tried Darlingtonia from seed two other times and got zilch using the "sow them on the media" method.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my week's grocery shopping at Gordon's Food Service this morning. Now have 100 of those 2 ounce cups.

Will go looking for stronger magnifying glass and may try this method of using just water.

Will be trying several methods to see what works best for me.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCarnivourKid View Post
    Mabudon, I used this method on the last batch of Darlingtonia seeds I tried (Thanks Stormbringer!!) and had about 95% germination. I've tried Darlingtonia from seed two other times and got zilch using the "sow them on the media" method.
    Cool cool man, thanks very much for clarifying that, I have been trying for what, 3 years now with ZERO success "on medium" so next batch I stumble across, that's how I'm doing it, good to know

Diana- that's the BEST thing you can do- find what works best for YOU- best of luck with your experiments- they might ALL turn out "perfect" and then you'll have the oposite problem- it's usually how CPs work out after all
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it has more to do with the seeds than the medium. All germinated on 2 to 1 perlite - LFS mixture with a pinch of live Sphagnum on top (stratification medium):

Germinations/Sown:
    'Othello' x 'Othello' (from LACPS direct from Barry) - 1/3
    californica (from ICPS seedbank) - 5/9
    'Othello' x ? (from ICPS seedbank) - 19/20

Ok, enough thread hijacking - further Darlingtonia discussion should take place in the proper section.

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long can D. capensis seeds last and still be viable?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast