Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard seed starting media for Drosera

The Obsessive Gardener pedersonplants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Standard seed starting media for Drosera

I've spent some time searching through this forum hoping to find just 1 seed starting media that could be used for ANY drosera seed.

I have something like 14 packages of drosera seed and 3 packages of sarracenia seed coming in about a month from the ICPS seed bank.

As I read through this forum and my books, it sounds like everything needs something a little different to germinate. This just isn't feasible in the real world. I can easily separate the stratify from the don't stratify varieties but what about the actual media?

Is there anyone here that has found/created a potting media that works well for most species? If so, will you please share it?

Sometimes too much research leads to TOO MANY answers. LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started messing with those peat pellets and one worked wonderfully for some sarracenia. I am trying it again now and tossed some pieces of LFS to the top (shredded).

All of the other seedlings I have are mostly sarrs that I just filled egg cartons with holes poked in the bottom of each cut with peat/perlite mix and put them in the fridge. Worked wonderfully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for responding. Am looking at all methods. May try two methods if enough seeds are in the packets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found milled sphagnum moss to work excellent. I used to buy the Mosser Lee stuff, but now I have a little food processor to mill my own, so I can use New Zealand sphagnum, if I wish.

Cheers,

Joe

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kinda in the same boat Diana. I went throught my fridge last night and pulled out all the seeds I've been storing in the crisper bin. Some seed was a couple years old so I decided to just put all the seeds in their own individual 2oz deli container. I now have about 20 of those containers on my plant shelf.

Pros: The seedlings get a head start on algae and moss that may form on the soil before they sprout and if they don't sprout I don't have to waste time setting up a pot of soil for them.

Cons: If they do sprout, my eye sight will be a lot worse after I fish the little seedlings out of the water and set them in a pot. Also is very labor intensive. You may not have the free time needed to transfer a bunch of seedlings to a new pot.

I have used this method for sprouting various sundews, my Darlingtonia seedlings and P. luscitanica seeds. It has worked better for me than direct sowing on soil in many instances.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you please explain more. What media are you using in those 2 ounce deli cups? Are you sprouting them in nothing but water?

I'm sorry; I'm not understanding.

I'm retired on disability. Way too much time on my hands. I have a new aquarium with a reptile top to protect the seedlings from my pet birds and vice versa!

I often have help from children in the pursuit of my plant growing. Figure I might as well let them see what is involved in growing as many types of plants as possible. The idea of insect eating plants really excites the 9-11 year old boys in our all boys garden club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sprinkle the seed in my other cp pots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then how do you know what plant is growing? I'm not an expert at identifying plants as seedlings. I like to keep everything neatly labeled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast