Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this hybrid work out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will this hybrid work out?

My D. capensis "Giant" and my D. x tokaiensis happened to be flowering at the same time, so I figured I might try to make a hybrid. I know that D. capensis and D. spatulata have been crossed, and since D. x tokaiensis has D. spatulata in it, I thought it might work. Although the D. rotundifolia genes might do something to the fertility of the seeds.

I used the D. x tokaiensis as the flower that received the D. capensis "Giant" pollen. I pulled all of the stamens with pollen out of the D. x tokaiensis flower a while before it started to close. So, there is a lesser chance of self pollination. I've waited several weeks, and now I've collected the seeds out of that single pod (I shoulda done more) today. There weren't very many (maybe like 10-20), although there still were seeds, and I sowed them just a few minutes ago. Is there a good chance that these seeds will be hybrid seeds? And if they are, will they sprout?

Thanks,
    -Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all you can do is wait i guess they say that the hybrids like D. capensis x aliciea and capensis x spatulata are much more difficult than either of their parents...so take note of that.

its a pity we dont see you around much. you started the trend of the growshelf and thats the only reason my plants are all doing so well! Thanks!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the father the one I sent you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    all you can do is wait i guess they say that the hybrids like D. capensis x aliciea and capensis x spatulata are much more difficult than either of their parents...so take note of that.

its a pity we dont see you around much. you started the trend of the growshelf and thats the only reason my plants are all doing so well! Thanks!
    Alex
    Yeah, I know they say that, but I'm hoping that at least I'll have lil babies soon.

Heh, thanks, I'm flattered. I really didn't do anything; just ask about lighting mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Is the father the one I sent you?
    Yup.

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searching BobZ's photo finder yields:

Drosera x [x tokaiensis*capensis] = [(rotundifolia*spatulata)*capensis] hybrid by Takaaki Kagawa
    http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/khell...nsis_giant.jpg

Congrats on having the patience to pollinate these. My Drosera venusta is flowering as well as my Drosera anglica. Now if I can only catch them with the flowers open.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I'm glad you found that photo. Now let's see how the suppposed "Giant" affects this plant.

My D. venusta is sending up a stalk, as well. It seems that that increase in light that I gave my plants with the timer made them all send up stalks.

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a list of Drosera hybrids. I don't know how exhaustive it is. I suppose I can ask Ivan Snyder.

http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/khell...ll_hybrids.htm
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you stand a good chance with coming up with a viable hybrid. I happen to have a capensis x spatulata, that was sent to me by Capslock:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast