What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do u take care of a sundew

hi im thinkin of buying one but im not sure how to care for them

It depends on the type you want to grow really.Do you know which ones you want?If you do just post it here,someone will answer your questions.Do some research and you will find information!

Jerry

searchcopyrighthw4.jpg

They're not Garden Plants, that's for sure.

D. capensis or D. filiformis which evers east to grow in NJ

D. filiformis is native to NJ, if I can remember those charts in Schnell's book correctly. Just grow it in an area of full sun (like a place that gets 4-6 hours of full sun every day, morning sun is better than late afternoon sun), and place it in a dish of distilled water (maybe like 2-3 inches deep of water, depending on the pot size). Then in winter it will form a bud called a hibernacula, and you can put the plant in an unheated garage or bury the pot in the ground, just so it doesn't freeze solid.

I haven't actually grown D. filiformis for long periods of time, mine died while in dormancy. But, they do enjoy a 50/50 peat/sand mix for their soil. I've read that they don't like long fibered sphagnum moss (that strandy stuff they use for orchids, if you don't know).

-Ben

the secret for most sundews.... LIGHT.

i reccomend D. capensis it gets big, is super easy, and reproduces very easily!
Alex

i reccomend D. capensis it gets big, is super easy, and reproduces very easily!

And by super easy Alex means super easy!

xvart.

so how do u care for the D. capensis

since you live in SJ.... keep it outside year round in full sun! keep it watered with RO, rain, DI or distilled water. thats about it :) oh...and a peat based mix(nothing like miracle grow or premixed mixes.)
Alex

hey dude - use the search tool - its at the top of the forum.. please.. use it. Don't ask queestions without first doing your own research. All of these questions have been answered before on the forums, so use the search function.

as well, you can go to google and find answers. Please LOOK before asking.

Oh, and Necifix - i heart your reply :3

hes new. give him some slack :)

D. capensis dosent go into dormancy. if temps go below freezing, the plant dies and when it gets warmer it comes back from the roots with a fury :D!
Alex

Drosera capensis does not require dormancy. It can be grown on most windows. Use a mix of peat, sand, and perlite for soil. Make sure there is no added fertilizers. If you aren't getting much dew then you most likely need more light.

xvart.

cool im definetly getting one of those the only thing i didnt like bout Cp's was the dormancy

Many CP's don't have dormancy; those that do are fairly manageable.

xvart.

Drosera capensis wide leaf form im goona get this one

I wouldn't leave D. capensis outside all year round in New Jersey. I used to live in central Jersey, and I'm sure the temps can't be that different. It would often go below freezing and sometimes to 0, and I don't think D. capensis can take 3-4 months of that.

-Ben

woops....i thought it was SJ...being San jose...not new jersey :blush:
Alex

For the most part you can grow temperate Drosera in the same manner as VFTs - respect their dormancy requirements if any. A few are happier with less light, a few like more water.

Sub-tropicals such as Drosera capensis for the most part do not have dormancy requirements. Grow them like your VFTs spring, summer and fall. In winter grow them indoors under lights or on a warm windowsill - south facing with a few hours direct sunlight would be ideal. Night temps should probably not drop below the 50's for long.

Back