What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flowering out of control

all my sundews are flowering like mad. my Aliciae put out FIVE independent spikes at once. most of my dews have at least two. i wouldnt mind this, but this much flowering is causing my plants a lot of stress, so they look bad. what in the world could be causing this? i;d really like to stop it if possible.

i have 4 40 watt cool whites on an 18 hour photoperiod, by the way. 80+ humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snip snip.

xvart.

that works of course, but all those flower stalks have a way of deforming the plant. is there a way to stop it to begin with? an aliciae shouldn't be flowering like that...

Snip snip

dont say that too lound...it'll scare my dog! :D

The only way i can think of is cutting them...

or if you happen to Tc, using them for propagation...

Some lights encourage flowering but not plant growth itself. It depends on the "spectrum" you probably have the "blue" (I think it is) spectrum that encourages flowering and not so much plant growth. I don't know, just a shot in the dark.

I believe that more blue spectrum promotes more vegitative growth. More light in the red spectrum than the blue promotes flowering. But you are growing under cool whites and unless bulbs are old should have a balanced spectrum. I don't know?????

How to keep them from flowering? Simple: Don't water, don't feed and don't give them light!

The way I look at it a flowering plant is a happy healthy plant and a credit to your growing conditions. You should congratulate yourself.

If the flowers bring the plants down and you don't like - clip the flowers. Nobody clips flowers in nature except for grazing animals or the odd insect. If the plant doesn't survive flowering then it's part of the natural selection process.

FWIW:

http://www.ezhydrokit.com/lighting.htm

My D. aliciae is only making one flower right now O_O. (even a few days after been shipped across the U.S.

my capensis has flowered since I got it in summer and its now spring its started forming smaller leaves but no deformed growth. About the time one stalk was done its would send up another it sent up four and I cut off the fifth stalk.

Yeah, you have a real problem there!

Back