What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. glabripes growing tips?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
About all I could find ib search was that Tamlin grows it in a sandy soil and drier conditions. Anyone have experience with this species?

Mine is in the original pot that I bought it in, although I repotted the pups along with it. It's in a taller pot with perlite/peat mix - probably 2 to 1 perlite. The pups went into a smaller pot with at 2 to 1 perlite to peat mix.

I nearly always tray water 1/4 - 1/2 inch, sometimes letting it dry between waterings, sometimes top watering.

I have them on an east facing windowsill and they only get 2-4 hours of direct morning sun. They seem perfectly happy, having nearly doubled in height in the 8 months that I've had them. Color is good, lots of red. When I put them outdoors in 4-6 hours of afternoon sunlight, colors deepened but the plants got a little ratty looking - smaller dew drops and scraggily tentacles. Probably perfectly normal for a plant in the wild but I'm not growing them in the wild ;)

I've found very little on the Internet concerning this species. If any one has any references please let us know.

Was yours perhaps reacting to having more sun? The one you sent was immediately placed outside, but didn't react at alll. Strange since it was in transit for a few days. Is it a tropical, sub-tropical, or temperate plant? Will it require a dormancy?

South African, sub-tropical, should not need dormancy. They grow near the regions that D. aliciae does so the conditions are close to what D. aliciae likes, just drier, sandier soils. It appears to hybridize naturally with D. aliciae forming D. x corinthiaca.

It showed no adverse reactions to more sun other than getting a little ratty looking over a period of 2-3 weeks - seemed healthy just not as pretty as it did indoors. It could just have been the constant sea breeze I get during the day drying out the dew and twisting the leaves around. My D. aliciae and venusta reacted in the same manner, they are just prettier on the windowsill. Certainly not the reactions that one often sees with the 3 Queensland Sisters. The D. venusta likes slightly cooler conditions though and may not have liked it the afternoon sun in the long run.

Refer to:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v28n3p81_84.html which by the way mentions: "D. glabripes (the pollen parent), which grew amongst rocks and in well-drained sandy soil on the adjacent hill slope" which should give you some idea of the soil conditions.

FWIW my outside D. anglica looks pretty ratty but then it just got done flowering. The D. binata I acquired at the same time got ratty looking but recovered. I've had them both about 2 months now. Perhaps the D. aliciae and glabripes just needed more time to adjust.

I may need to add some sand to the media and bring it inside as soon as the highs are going to be in the 60's - next week. My aliciae looked like death warmed over after the move, but fortunately it wasn't killed. I've been tossing sundews every few days. Do you think it expevts a lower photoperiod for the winter or should it be under lights 12/12 or 11/13?

My wild guess would be since dormancy is not required it probably doesn't matter all that much. Photoperiod cues probably contribute to when mature plants flower though.

That gives me a better idea what to do with them. Thanx.

Back