Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registering a Cultivar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registering a Cultivar

as several of you know....i have a scented flower form of D. binata.

Schloatywherever you are...) you also have the same plant as this is one of the plants that you sent me!

anywho....in the future i might want to register this plant as a cultivar(as far as i know....there are no other scented clones) i have recently distributed this plant to about 4 members. i expect those members to re-distribute those plants so there will be a progeny of plants that are always still alive. i plan to give out more material right before winter hits. for those people out ther that know about working with cultivars(Bob Ziemer, Joseph Clemmens, Brooks Garcia) if one of you all could possibly work with me to get this little quest of mine on the right start, you can e-mail or PM me.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    er, how scented are we talking about? Please say a intense perfume...
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think really sweet and pleasant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not knock over smell....but its strong compared to other CP's flowers that i have that smell. i dunno...it was just a thought in the first place. the growers in Australia say they have a few scented clones and ones that are unscented. so im kinda backing out of it at the moment.
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Rice once said "Anyone with a plant with even minor differences think it's worth cultivar status". Seriously Glider, I doubt this plant is worth cultivar status just because it's flower smells good. How do you know this isn't the only time it'll smell good? How do you know it's not just an excess of nectar or is trying to get a pollinator faster?

Lots of things glider, I don't think it's worth cultivar status, sorry, I think D. binata "scented" is what it should be. Sorry if I seem rude, but, it's such a small thing, plus D. binata aren't flowering every day, so...
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah not rude at all. i rushed to my own conclusion... thanks to those members who have PMed me about the subject!

plus D. binata aren't flowering every day
    mine aparently dont know that on the single plant, since the beginning of spring ive gotten 14 flower stalks!! all of which smell.

like i said. ive just never heard of such thing on a binata before now so i rushed to the conclusion "woah! i got something here!!" all i got is a unique plant and a different clone than my other binata. ill still distribute it out for the sake of being able to smell a CP all year(in warm climates) instead of just in the spring with Sarracenia. meh.

Alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be called D. binata 'Scented' unless it was a cultivar. Sounds like a good plant to get into cultivation, esp. if its progeny display the same traits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats why ive been doing it as D. binata "Scented" notice its in quotes which is different! haha ill take a few leaves to the NECPS show. to give to a few members if they are interested.
    Alex