What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosers not sticky

hey eveeryone....
im starting to feel like a complete idiot, every time one plant gets well, another sets sick. it's like kids, it's hard to maintain them all in great shape!! :crap:

so anyway, that's my "problem of the day"- i have a sundew, so far so good, eating, glowing, growing new leaves, everything. two days ago it just stopped being sticky. it's not drying out like it's dieing, it just doesnt have the tiny drops on its leaves anymore. i didnt change it's location or watering or lighting so i really dont know.

help? :-(

sorry for my crappy grammar, i wrote too quickly since i really need help.. :blush:

Ami, my guess is that it reacted to some sort of change that you are not aware. Does is correlate with your last watering? Maybe something mildly toxic got into the water or soil... or perhaps it experienced a temperature or humidity change or root disturbance? It reacted to something... Maybe you need to drain the water and re-water? Give them time to adjust.

BTW, you should have read my first umpteen posts and the highly newbie questions I asked! So don't feel bad. And just about everything forum / computer I now know has come from the help of 14 year olds!

Jim to the rescue once again.... :)
can't tell you how much i appreciate it.
i dont know what could bought that up, but maybe it's weather change, thou it dodnt change MUCH, just a bit more chilli at night. maybe it's getting too much light? i've been giving them 12-14 hours of lighting daily (daylight and later on fluorescent) for the past week or two, could this be it? and can i water them aircondition-water? i heard it was ok too, but didnt try it. im holding back water at the moment, maybe it needs to recover like my Ping...

I promise you aren't giving them too much light hon:) Many of us give our plants 16 hours of light a day. AC water should be fine as long as you don't have any leaks in the unit so that oil can contaminate it or something. Depending on the species, it could be dry because it's not getting enough light. I don't know anything about Isreal but as long as it's something other than D. adelae you may be able to grow it outside in full sun.

with MOST Drosera..... good air circulation + lots of light = good dew production. if all else looks good dont worry about lack of dew yet.....wait for new leaves and see if they produce dew. if the new leaves dont than there is a problem. i never base dew production of off old leaves, especially if i just got the plant. i have grown Drosera in full hot summer sun with 10% humidity during the day and had them glistening with dew. light helps dew production more than hinders it.

ok, thanks guys, for the help. :) i'll keep on giving it the extra lighting.. i thought- maybe it had something to do with cutting a few leaves? they were grey, but the drying started right about then... my Ping isnt sticky yet as well, since its tragedy, i really wonder what could it be.

in case it's dried out by direct sun, it should have new dew in not so long after being in non-direct sun, shouldnt it?

Sundewws are definitely sun lovers, but they can burn and react if they went from a realtively low light environment to one that was significntly brighter... as mine went through at the end of July. Wait for new growth to appear and that should be fine.

They don't lose dew / dry out from too much sun. The dew isn't water, like morning dew on grass. They dry out when they are unhappy about the situation. Once a sundew leaf has lost its dew, it only sometimes returns. Usually, it is totally lost. But new growth ought to be just fine.What wou want to do is find a place where it will be permanent (stability) for them and wait it out.

Do you have a magnifying glass? You can see the stickiness much better through one. Also you can see the dew more on sundews more clearly.

Back