What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy drosera is looking like it is going to form gemmae...

Cindy

Staff member
I currently have it under lights on a 12 hour cycle. What should I do next?

Increase or decrease the photoperiod?
Increase or cut back on the water?
The rest of the plants in the same pot are still flowering...would they go into gemmae production too if I change the conditions? ???

Thanks!

They produce gemmae after a dry, hot summer, when the rains and cool temps revive the plant. It's opposite thinking to those of the Northern Hemisphere.

So can you get them to produce gemmae by cutting back on water? I would like to make a good population of my Drosera roseana.

Thanks, Jimscott.

poolboy101, on the contrary. Gemmae production will be encouraged by wet and cool conditions, as well as shorter photoperiod.

Do you grow them under lights like me? What I am doing now is to reduce the photoperiod by two hours, from 12 hours to 10 hours. Also, I move the pot to an area where the light intensity is lower. Within a week, the plants are beginning to show signs of gemmae production! :)

poolboy101, on the contrary. Gemmae production will be encouraged by wet and cool conditions, as well as shorter photoperiod.

It gets sunny in the day with wet 40F lows it has done this for 2 weeks along with a short photoperiode. Could anyone supply some gradual gemae pics ? I am looking at mine I don't see anything but I may be wrong.

Try this link: http://mkt24.blog.ocn.ne.jp/photos/pygmydrosera/callistos060806.html :)

Btw, I think gemmae may appear after 4-6 weeks of consistent wet and cold weather. Not sure if you'll get anything in 2 weeks except slower growth and no new appearance of leaves from the centre. To give mine a push, the pot goes into the wine cooler for 14 hours.

Nothing yet I still see new leafs...................................

Mine too, still with new leaves. But one plant seems "crowded" in the middle. I'll try and get some pics to post. The pot has been receiving soft light and kept in the wine cooler for 14 hours as my ambient temperatures will not go below 75F.

Some of mine have that too :crazy: :jester:
I placed them in the fridge that is set to 40F so at night I can leave them there. They are not as dewy as usual,they have a minimal amount of dew perhaps they did not enjoy me clipping of some of there dead leafs or maybe they are gemaeing :)jester: ) When I clipped the leafs I did not hurt them so they are most likely putting energy into gemaeing.

Pygmy sundews can be very sensitive and if just bumped, it could kill the plant. Not that happens all the time. It's just that the slightest disturbance has that potential. That's why shipping plants is very risky and gemmae are very easy to ship.

There doing better,jimscott I had some very strange things happen with these guys the survived fine barerooting maybe a supoer genetic strand of pygmy drosera (joking). I musta been just lucky on that one, every night(starting on doing it) I am putting them in my moms temperture controlled fridge at night to get them to produce faster they seem okay. On the bare rooting I can hardly belive they lived I carefuly took each one out then washed of the of the soil according to the law. Only one died and one guy just sprouted after about 4 monthes the rest are bigger then ever. I moved from hawaii around 5 months ago (?) When I was going to ship them I tried to get them dormant but to minimal success maybe they got dormant but showed no signs of it exept no growth in hawaii ? What I did was put them in a big piot and all then let them bake. Well long post.

Okay they have to be making gemae !!
There growing point is getting bigger and they are not making leafs really. I think putting them in the fridge at night will speed up the proccess greatly.

I thought I had pics to show but the plants are weird. They are putting out larger and longer leaves! :0o:

Okay this is gotta be gemae

Back