Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B. liniflora experiment

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B. liniflora experiment

I am conducting an experiment with the B. liniflora seeds. I poured some on moist media, without pretreatment. Another group I tried the 10% bleach solution, which yielded that purple dye within like 15 seconds. The rest are sealed, in the fridge, for a month, where I will try both the pretreatment and just immediate sowing.

After one week, both pots began germinating seedlings the same day. However, there are 5 in the pre-treated pot and 2 in the untreated pot. We'll see what happens as the month pregresses and the fridged seeds get sown.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott + experiment = bad

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always picture jimscott holding a beaker and wearing a white lab coat... Is this just my imagination, or does he have that picture here somewhere?? lol
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predict Frankenstein-like monsters that will grow & grow and take over your house. Not only that, but they'll raid your 'fridge a lot and never offer money to help pay for groceries.

Well, I used a very weak solution of gibberellic acid on my Byblis seeds (lamellata, liniflora & filifolia) and after three months nothing has sprouted. I either got some really bad seeds or Iím not giving them enough light and warmth. I don't know whether to give 'em more time or just toss 'em out.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 months was certainly long enough for germination. I'm sure you also had them in at last 21 C, with a little light and moisture. It's probably due to unviable seeds. My very first batch of seeds came from Wicked Thistle - 23 of them. I did absolutely nothing to them other than put them in a pipette container, slightly moist, covered, at a window sill. Within 10 days all 23 seeds sprouted. I just wanted to see if the 10% bleach solution really makes a difference or if cold storage, a la, D'Amato & Pietrepaolo makes a difference. So far I see no appreciable difference between pre-treatment and no treatment. We'll see for sure within a week on that part.

And yes, there is a picture taken from the lab, with a blue labcoat. It should be in PAK's forum member picture topic, still hosted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww fudge.........

Yeah, I've figured by now that my seeds were not viable. Man, what a waste of time and hopes.......

Oh well.........onward and upward................
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, seeds will be offered again. You'll have more opportunities to kill... I mean cultivate them. Works for me!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just set up the remaining seeds, from the fridge. Part were bleached and the rest were scattered on the soil surface. The other (fresh) seedlings are doing fine. So far no difference between germination times or rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast