What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry admins i tried!

I'm sure this has been asked before but i couldnt find it using the search so I'll ask anyway. Could I use PURE sphagnum moss to plant a d.capensis? I know peat/mix is best but it is what i have for right now. Or what about bed-a-beast?

D. capensis will grow in just about anything. Pure sphagnum dead or alive should work ok. One LACPS member has D. capensis growing with a non-CP - the seeds spread to that pot years ago.

you cant kill capensis. youll soon learn why once you get adult capensis and they flower!! haha

pure peat is fine as is peat/perlite mix. just give it direct sun(if possible) and keep it watered with pure (rain, RO, distilled) water and watch them grow!

Alex
EDIT: NAN got to it first... but hes right. capensis will grow anywhere. other pots, water(yes ive tried!) damp lava rock(tried that too!) anywhere!!!
Alex

wow...ok...now i live in a basement with no window. what about lighting? Would a reptile lamp work? and how would i use the s. moss to plant? like i said im green to greenery! :)

look for compact fluorescents. the spiral bulbs. look for one that is an equivilant to 75 watts. just use the peat like any other soil.
Alex

look for compact fluorescents. the spiral bulbs. look for one that is an equivilant to 75 watts. just use the peat like any other soil.
Alex

Just asking so i know why, but why spiral bulbs?

They save money and electricity. :D

part of the saveing electricity is that for example a 26watt warm light spiral bulb is the equivilent of like....75watts of incandescent? some people think its bunk. id swear by it though since i used them for almost a year straight with beautiful red color on my plants!

Alex

part of the saveing electricity is that for example a 26watt warm light spiral bulb is the equivilent of like....75watts of incandescent? some people think its bunk. id swear by it though since i used them for almost a year straight with beautiful red color on my plants!

Alex

Ok...Kinda what i thought but wasnt sure. Thanks for everything guys!

Back