What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kenayelli is sulking

My kenayelli has been sulking since I repotted him into a deeper pot. The falconeris seem not to mind although some don't look that great either. But the kenayelli looks like its declining.

Apart from as much sun, heat, and water as possible, is there any other trick to jump start a drosera?

Since its a wooly, I wouldn't "jump start" it. It may need to go dormant.

The move itself may have been enough to put it into shock. Don't move it again and wait it out.

Hard to tell but it looks like it has started the inward spiral which would indicate dormancy. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues to do this. If/when it spirals all the way in then you will need to give it a dormancy period.

Hard to tell but it looks like it has started the inward spiral which would indicate dormancy. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues to do this. If/when it spirals all the way in then you will need to give it a dormancy period.

Do elaborate on this please. What do they need for dormancy? Does this apply to all woolys?

Do elaborate on this please. What do they need for dormancy? Does this apply to all woolys?

Okay, I will elaborate with the caveat that this is just what I do and I am not going to guarantee it will work for everyone. This complex, more than any other it seems, has a number of very experienced growers who all do things different.

What I do for dormancy is rather simple.

I grow all my plants in enclosed tanks (do a search of the forums looking for "how I grow petiolaris complex" that should pull up my thread detailing the specifics.) When I see a plant is going dormant I stick a styrofoam block under the pot thereby lifting it out of the water reservoir. I have a bunch of blocks cut such that when I have a pot on them they rest in no more than 1mm of water when I refill the reservoir.

Temps and humidity remain the same from the aquarium heater, light is 12/12 like always. Plants that are dormant are left raised until I see signs of returned growth. This can be 1 month or 6 months, there is no rhyme or reason to it.

The only plants I do not treat this way are paradoxa as they seem unable to take the drying out that occurs. For paradoxa I still raise them but only to half the height I do the others so they get periodic drying but not sustained dry.

Back