Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I feel like a Newb again.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That capensis looks like it got shocked by a significant change of conditions. I did that once, taking a plant into work, when it went from like 21 C to -15 C to 21 C within a half hour. Nearly every leaf withered, but about a week later a new one emerged... and then another... and... 6 months later it looked like this:

and then it flowered in July.

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flowered..... the full extent of that word has just struck me... a flowering cape...

I am seeing images of being lost in a sticky writhing forest... the horror... and yet next on my to-do list is dig through my closet for the grow lights... maybe I will follow that up with a quick check in with the mental health professionals... yes that would be a good idea. but I will wait till after the forest sprouts. Take them each a plant.. yes, yes.. that is a good idea, thin the horde!
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Conditions update

No new miraculous health improvement to report, though I am keeping my hopes up! After further consideration though I did some schedule rearranging and took 15 minutes (thanks for your help Matt!) and installed a small grow light for supplemental lighting on the as yet unexpanded windowsill.

As you can see the light is really only needed to extend photoperiod as this is about as dim as this window gets in the afternoons until the sun starts to set. The light is not fixed in position so I can raise and lower as conditions need, was thinking to go a little lower actually.

While setting the Cape back on the windowsill I did make another discovery.

This was a first for me. All previous attempts at getting sundew seeds to sprout failed in a blaze of mold. This is the first Drosera seedling I have ever seen in person! I got all giggly and excited. It is so cute!

So there it is, an update on the status of my rescue and re-newbdom.

If I was this fussy and nervous the first time it is a wonder anyone managed to put up with me at all!
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    Gypsicola from a Home Depot or garden center? That's a find.
    Yes, It is! At first, i thought it was a D. capensis "alba" from a distance. Upon closer inspection, it was P. gypsicola with it's winter rosette halfway formed, with just a few straggly leaves left...sooooo....i purchased it immediately! The media was sopping wet and i dried the soil, but lost it anyways due to Botrytis mold...
    Kate, might i suggest keeping your D. capensis a little bit drier, due to your growing conditions. At least until the plant has acclimated fully and is producing new leaves consistently...Your moss looks a little too wet. Just my two-shillings worth! Bri.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12