Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like a Newb again.

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like a Newb again.

2 years is longer than it seems! It is even long enough to forget EVERYTHING I once knew about CP and make D. capensis challenging again.

Well okay maybe not everything. I knew it was a "Cape sundew" when I saw the poor neglected little dew sitting in a tray of calcium encrusted tap water in the driest commercial greenhouse I have ever been in, wedged in the back behind a slew of half dead VFT, dried up leuco hybrids and an unknown pitcherless Nep marked simply as "Tropical pitcher plant". I had to rescue the little guy, really I did!

Once I got it home though... yeah... that was a lesson in newbdom all over again. No dew, that's bad, but what do I do about it? Twisted deformed leaves also bad, but what is it caused by? (Still not sure on that one I am guessing the water/dry/lack of light).

I am so glad you guys are here! Several hours of reading, an east facing window where I know humidity is not a problem (My windows cry constantly with condensation) a little more supplemental light to be added in the next few weeks via a window sill extension and Compact Florescent lighting and I am happy to report that the sad little D. capensis has droplets of dew just starting to form on several leaves, a few I had written off as being long past the point of dew producing.

Here is a pic of the newly rescued hopefully soon to be weed partially so I can keep track of it's progress but also so if I do something horribly wrong you guys know where I started from.. and I remember the stick poking for lack of pics!

Last edited by Kate; 11-25-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: if I could type.. I wouldn't edit
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, my nursery sells D.adelae and D. Capensis as "Octopus Plants" (whistle-y hypnosis sound not included). I check in every few weeks to see if there are any plants worth saving. I wish they'd get some Nepenthes, but they never do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound like you may have some aphid action going on there....I use the "safer" pesticides {pyrethrin} on my sundews with no ill effect. I would suggest looking to see if you can see any pests in the center crown. A little more light too!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaves will normally brown and wither away with age. The lowest, outermost leaves are the oldest.

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No aphids, not a total newb, just been over 3 (almost 4) years since I had to give up my entire collection (stupid international borders! The botanical gardens appreciated the donation though so not all bad I guess) and haven't been in a situation to keep anything requiring more than a window and some tap water alive long term indoors since then. Haven't even tried in the last 2 years.

The window is the best I can provide for light at the moment. It's not fully east, more of a east southeast direction, it gets full sun from sun rise until around noon then bright light until around 3 pm. Considering it is dark by 5:30pm recently though, supplemental lighting is definitely going to be needed. That is going to require something of a construction project to provide and with the ornamental seeds due to be planted, the cactus house construction currently in the works and still needing to finish winterizing the herb gardens (all of these being my lively hood and what I do to support my daughter) the window extension and more light is going to have to wait a few weeks

I am consoling myself with knowing it is in much better conditions than it was, and certainly enough to sustain it if not fully thrive while improvements are on the way. Now if I can just ignore the urge to "rescue" the rest of the CP that nursery had I will be okay. So far so good on that front, there is a trip planned to go back and "have a look" this afternoon
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kate! I know whatcha mean when it comes to wanting to "rescue" CP from Home Depots, garden centers, etc....Actually, i've found and rescued D. adelae, P. gypsicola, S. purpurea venosa and countless flytraps from the above mentioned places...They really get popular around Halloween!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never see anything but vft here ;
    Id rescue adelea and other things but vfts have no apeal to me.
    Maybe because I have so many with steve doonan giveaways or something.
    Well youll get back to growing
    I killed capensis in hawaii a few times so don't feel bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drosera5150 View Post
    Hi Kate! I know whatcha mean when it comes to wanting to "rescue" CP from Home Depots, garden centers, etc....Actually, i've found and rescued D. adelae, P. gypsicola, S. purpurea venosa and countless flytraps from the above mentioned places...They really get popular around Halloween!

Gypsicola from a Home Depot or garden center? That's a find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast