What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis ssp. tracyi trouble!

I have a D. filiformis ssp. tracyi that formed a hibernaculum (spelling?) when it got cold (around 40) but the temperature has been at 60- 70*f for about five days. I'm afraid it might come out of its dormant state too early. Should I put it in the refrigerator? If it has started growing new leaves what do I do?

I'd leave them be for now. I've done a little reading on dormancy in general. Plants go into a pre-dormancy phase signaled mainly by photoperiod change. In this predormancy period they can resume growth if conditions (temperature and moisture) becomes favorable at any time. If the conditions continue to be unfavorable for long enough the plants enter dormancy. They usually will not break dormancy until both the photoperiod and conditions become favorable for a length of time.

My D. filiformis formed hibernacula in September and haven't resumed growth even though we've been having weather in the high 70's off and on for periods of a week and a half at times.

Be sure to cut your watering way back as these are very prone to crown rot if too moist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back