What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating D. filiformis

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
I recently read about some members germinating Drosera in just water. Does anyone know if that will work for D. filiformis? Unless someone says it will not work, I'd like to try it with a few seeds. I'll be also trying some sprinkled on straight peat to compare them with as a control batch.
Comments? Suggestions?
Tom

I am considering trying germination in water in the fridge would that work ???
I got a few temperate CP seed D. filiformis and some Sarracenia would that work for Sarracenia and temperate Drosera?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is D. binata in water, in centrifuge tubes, but I've also done D. filiformis 'California Sunset' like this as well.

IMG_0014.jpg

I mean putting seed(Drosera (temperate) and Sarracenia) into those centrifuge tubes into a fridge for stratification. I think it may work but don't want to ruin good seed.
I am not going to propagate my binatas why ? Because I came back from working in hawaii and noticed that there were 5 or so extra (large)plants in my tank :D

I spread some D. filiformis and D. intermedia seed onto a 50/50 peat/sand mix, wet it down, and put it outside in January last year. I left the pots frozen outside for about 8 weeks, then chipped them out of 6" of ice and brought them in. From what I could tell, almost every seed germinated within a few weeks in the warmer temps inside. The moral of the story is:

I don't know if putting them in pure water will work, but you can sow them on your wet medium of choice, then stick 'em in the freezer for 8 weeks, and they'll germinate when they come out. This method will take up more freezer space, but will save you from having to tweeze little seedlings from water and plant them. I'd avoid stratifying them in the fridge, as I've had trouble with mold that way.

JimScott, that is cool!!!

Well, I am trying 20 seed on peat, frozen and 30 in water, fridge.
I'm also trying the same numbers without stratifying. I'll report back on them later.

On another note, how does one tell when the D. filiformis is dormant? Here's a picture of the one I recieved on Saturday. Is the crown normally that fiberous? Should it go out into the garage?
HELP!!

DSCI0198.JPG

Tom

Back