What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am psyched!!!

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Took me 5 years but finally going to get blooms on my D. stolonifera. Looks like all 3 plants will have them too. Definitely going to try for seed.

PC110014_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
5 years?! Wow, talk about patience

I couldn't even get this one to germinate and can't seem to get a D. peltata or an D. auriculata through a dormancy cycle! You are way ahead of the game. Congrats!

5 years?! Wow, talk about patience

5 years waiting for a plant to flower is nothing. It is waiting 3+ years for tuberous seed to germinate that is an act of patience LOL

Well I have no luck with even D. peltata,
No germination or anything but I'll try for the 3rd time maybe the icps seed is bad for the tuberous Drosera seed ???
I have ga3 so I may do a strong soak on D. peltata.
Well If I get something that would have god trade value I may be able to get tubers....................

The fact that you're growing these things in Atlanta (definitely not an ideal climate for most CP's) makes them even more impressive. I live in Atlanta and definitely have a brown thumb. Cool growing season + dry dormancy= DIFFICULT in my book. The only thing that does well for me consistently is my dinnerplate-sized P.gigantea, possibly coming to a Southeastern Flower Show near you....

JM,

I would avoid GA3 on peltata seed. You are more likely to frag them out then stimulate them. Best thing to do is try again from the freshest seed you can find. Sow them out in the pot and set on a tray and mist them pretty heavy every day or so. The reason for this is to leach out the seed coat inhibitors. In some cases you actually have to wait a year or more for germination and in these cases you should pull the pots and let them dry out in the summer.

Slurm,

Actually, Atl is not a bad place to be growing these with a little attention. The winters tend to be mild enough that you can grow them in a protected location. I grow in my sunroom which I only heat on nights it is going to drop below freezing but I have also grown some outside and only pulled them in on freezing nights. And then in summer you just let them dry out and keep them in a protected area so they do not bake. I use my crawlspace for convenience but you can stick them in a closet or drawer or back room or whatever...

Look forward to your plant being at the show. Be nice to have some new blood there. I'd challenge your P. gigantea with mine from years past but I gave mine away... I'll have something though :)

Back