Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adelae Flowers!

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adelae Flowers!

After a somewhat thorough search on this subject, and not finding exactly the answer I wanted, I figured I'd give it shot. It's been maybe 1.5 months since I repotted and split a tiny pot of D. Adelae into 5 medium/small plants. Now at least two of them have flower stalks forming, (I'm excited. ) So a few questions...

1. Is it a rare occasion for D. Adelae to flower? After reading some older posts on here, it seems that some people might be having trouble getting theirs to flower.

2. Do these plants actually self-pollinate? If not, how would one pollinate a plant without the use of insects?

3. Are the seeds easy to grow/worth trying to get?

Here's some pictures. The first one, the stalk is very near the center, but you can just barely make out the buds...

Adelae Flowers!

This is the second plant, the stalk is much more developed, and preparing to make the stretch upwards...

Adelae Flowers!

And thanks in advance for your help/answers, you guys are the best!

Cheers!
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I thought it was a challenging plant to flower but it has done so now for the past two springs:

I couldn't get anything out of the seedpods so i think it needs outside help. However, it does very well in propogating itself by forming new plants from its roots. The plantlets start out having ovoid ahped leaves before they become lanceleafed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe this is the way they reproduce best in nature and captivity?
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile