What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. intermedia, worry or not to worry?

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
The last few days my D. intermedia has lost dew and is turring redisg on the older lower leaves. The new ones are green and dewey. Do D. intermedia leaves die in dormancy? What do you all think? also, chould I clip the flower stalk?

3 weeks ago
DSCI0188.JPG

and now
D_+intermedia.JPG

Thanks in advance.

It's going into dormancy. You can clip the flower stalk if you want.
perfectly normal:)

Flower bud snipped.
Thanks zero. :-D

It looks a bit late for the plant to be going dormant but the plant looks good. Is the plant from florida stock? The winters outside in Phoenix may be a bit too warm for a temperate drosera. I'd put it in the fridge if I were you. If your plant is descended from a florida or other southeastern US coast population, you can give it a quick (until mid feb-early march) dormancy. If it is decended from a more northern population (new england, europe etc) it may need a longer dormancy.

isnt d. intermedia almost supposed to be near or at waterlevel? just wondering I was considering trying to grow some from seed and thats what I thought I'd read. I noticed the tray you had yours in is a standard sized smaller tray...

Slurm, it's from a grower in Fla. and has been on a 12 1/2 hr on 11 1/2 off light cycle.

cmm889, I don't know what "standard sized smaller tray..." you're talking about? The older picture is the day after I got it and the second is from this afternoon. It is, and has always been since I got it, in a terrarium. I recently rebuilt the terrarium documented in this thread, but I don't have any trays.

That last picture has that "clench-fist" look of temperate sundews in dormancy. I wouldn't worry. Come February there should be new growth.

lately the winters in FL have been ranging from 18 - 90 degrees so I don't think that the Texas winter temps will be inadequate for your D. intermedia

oh I was just curious becuase Its on my list of plants to hopefully get and I just didnt want to make sure that I was wrong about the water levels :) I mean youre growing one... that means your a good resource is why I was asking :hail:

Back