Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D. arcturi Cultivation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really thinking the fridge with tempreture control is your only winter option.. You need to find out pot size tempetures,rain,frosts and so on then attempt to recreate that in a fridge or peltier cooled fridge for extreame control. You could get live weather update then change your fridge to match the temps and other facters... The advantage of the peltiers is they can heat AND cool if you could wire it up with thermostats for heating and cooling or something digital.. I just thought of something if your crazy enough you could wire the tempreture control to the computer using the usb interface or parrelell port then get streamed temps or last years temps then do that for the fridge I dunno just thinking. You'd need a coder though,soldering and other things. I can't even get arcturi so I will most likely build anything like what I discribed

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D. arcturi that LACPS members tried growing from seed grew painfully slow. Germination took forever - 6 weeks or so - after which slow growth to about 5mm across before they went dormant and died in the refrigerator.

Attempts with the "Giant" variety were more successful - a more reasonable germination period of 2-3 weeks. Ivan was able to grow his to about 2.5 cm across before they expired during one of the autumn heat waves we experienced in Los Angeles. I've managed to keep alive 5 of the 6 seedling he gave me back in June but they've only grown to about 1 cm across. They appear to have gone dormant in the middle of December and have been in the refrigerator for about 2.5 weeks - perhaps still alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sowed my seed in the autumn and it came up in the spring I treated it like an alpine plant except i kept it in the glasshouse It does grow slowly but all my alpine plants do so I have a lot of patiance the trouble I have now is what to do with the seedlings I have a high failure rate at pricking out Drosera. I use peat and sieved gravel as a mix moss sought of grows on top of that plus some trichoderma. Im sure its all wrong but i have never used perlite or vermiculite and would not even know where to buy it. Other Cp's I use sphagnum especially the fast growing ones.

below is a pic of my arcturi seedlings (2 years old)
    by the way if some one could give me some help on how best to put pics in reply that would be appreciated I dont know how big to make them and also how to link from photo bucket Im kinda clueless when it comes to the latest technology

Last edited by Kinabalufan; 01-26-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: pic did not work

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh! Love the American dime. I have a small handful of New Zealand and Cook Island coins. I usually go to the Cook Islands for vacation. I've not made it down to NZ yet.

Linking to Photobucket is a snap with this board. Underneath your the thumbnail in your Photobucket album will be a set of tags. Just click in the tag box marked "IMG code" and paste that into your message.

Here's the few survivors I have. They're in a 6.35cm pot in New Zealand long fibre Sphagnum (LFS) - seemed appropriate. 9-10 months old. They were about half the size that Ivan was able to get his to.

I just checked these, the largest one on the left has turned completely brown and had some mold/fungus. It looks like the top most plant is turning brown too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Not a number, your seedlings are bigger than mine and are a year younger. Possibly yours are going into dormancy? they die compleatly off in the winter normally and then come back in the spring. I put the dime there because the majority of people here are American.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the "Giant" variety. I think they are from Tasmania actually. Mid December the new leaf didn't open and turned a much darker green than usual and a little bud/bulb formed at the base of the dark green shoot. I assumed this was the hibernacula as such for this species.

The largest plant is about 12mm across.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will take some photos in the wild, when Im next in the hills I have not heard of the giant form maybe it is from Australia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinabalufan View Post
    I will take some photos in the wild, when Im next in the hills I have not heard of the giant form maybe it is from Australia.
    I look forward to those pics!

NaN & Ross - Thanks for posting those pics

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast