Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: D. arcturi Cultivation

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soil: Sphagnum moss only. This is what it lives in naturally, so I'm guessing, being a finicky plant, it likes living in it.

Top soil: In the wild D. Arcturi often grows with a layer of what we fondly call 'cushion plants' around it. Not a necessary, but perhaps you could substitute with low-growing moss that's naturally found around sphagnum bogs.

Temperature: 20 degrees celcius max during growing months, but a little higher won't hurt it. Nothing over 27-30 ever. Probably between 7 and -5 degrees celcius in winter. Refrigeration once the plants gone into hibernaculum might work, but don't let the temp's drop below -10 or below.

Growth: These plants have 5-6 months growth before you will need to send them into dormancy. Each year after dormancy, in spring, D. Arcturi produces 3 or 4 strap like leaves that are usually under 5cm long. Then it flowers. A single, white, inconspicous flower per plant.

Seeding:Seeds need to be stratified to grow, and can take many months. The germination of D. Arcturi seeds is enhanced when the seeds are allowed to lie on fully saturated media and are subjected to temperature fluctuations.

Watering:Water from below, keeping the soil constantly wet but just that step away from saturated.

Light: Normal, bright light for them in summer, and obviously if they're covered with snow in winter they're not going to get squat all light!

Humidity:Around 60-80%
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I got 2 in the mail several weeks ago, and 2 more as a surprise today! I was planning to post pics of them, but they don't show up too well amongst the sphagnum on my camera phone.

Is it alright for me to leave them outside(Corvallis, OR)? There is just a bit of frost every morning...

Thanks!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say it depends on the conditions they were growing in before otherwise I doubt frost will phase those puppies much.

I'd put them out mid-day or so. That way they'll cool down slowly along with the normal temperature drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent advice! They were growing at room temp in a TC lab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. I have some Arcturi seeds on thier way. I heard they were difficult.

It sounds as if I could treat them like my temperate drosera and sarrs and I might have a chance here in Indiana. I can give them the proper dormancy, and I think my summers here might just be mild enough for the most part to give them the proper cool down at night.

We shall see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah resurrected thread! I didn't manage to keep mine for long -- they just rotted! I probably didn't harden them off correctly (they were from TC). Ah well. Maybe when I move to NZ I can grow them...

Good luck dash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I resurrected this one from the land of the dead. LOL. I didn't think it necessary to start a new one since yours was already here.

Your results don't sound too encouraging... It will be fun trying nonetheless.

Has anyone in the been able to keep arcturi alive for more than one season? It doesn't count if you live in NZ and your back yard contains an alpine bog.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Rice has been growing these for many years. Since they have such a short growing period it is essential to feed them constantly. Search the ICPS forum for his cultivation methods.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast