Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: D. arcturi Cultivation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks NaN for pointing me in the right direction. Duh, why didn't I think to check there. I did check elsewhere and found some people in the UK/EUR area who have reported limited success.

Since I have a few weeks to wait while they are stratifying I can spend some time coming up with a plan to get them to sprout and hopefully survive.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what? I think I'm confusing these with D. linearis on ICPS. Same cultivation problems though.

Memory is the second thing to go.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Barry Rice has been growing these for many years. Since they have such a short growing period it is essential to feed them constantly. Search the ICPS forum for his cultivation methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    You know what? I think I'm confusing these with D. linearis on ICPS. Same cultivation problems though. Memory is the second thing to go.
    I recall Barry posted some growing methods for D. linearis that involved aggressive feeding & long photoperiod. Don't recall anything about him & D. arcturi - would be interesting to see how this plant responds to those conditions - especially since almost everything posted is about some version of a failure...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not that i've been studying this plant for years, but im betting they occupy the same ecological niches found in their respective hemispheres. what works for linearis will probably work for arcturi as well.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    not that i've been studying this plant for years, but im betting they occupy the same ecological niches found in their respective hemispheres. what works for linearis will probably work for arcturi as well.

That's the thing- D. linearis can be a problematic plant-scratch that, IS a problematic plant. It's difficult to keep alive long-term, and very slow growing from what I hear. I guess if I can keep my D. linearis plants alive for next growing season, perhaps giving D. arcturi a try wouldn't hurt though
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the thread I was referencing in my post above - thread.

Here's a post from Barry that made me think this plant (D. linearis) might actually be possible for mortals to cultivate (be interesting to see if D. arcturi would respond similarly):
    Sorry for my lack of clarity in my email, I meant a 50:50 sandeat mix. My standard mix for most Drosera.

I grow them under lights in a terrarium for about 3 months, feeding them nearly daily. There's nothing magical about the water level---the pots are about 5 cm tall, sitting in 2-3 cm of water at all times.

At the end of the growing season, the plants form hibernacula. I let them sit in the terrarium for a few weeks in this state, then put them in baggies and keep them in the fridge.

I'm old-school about my refrigeration, and so I store them there for about 4-5 months. However, I've talked to some who see no point in storing their plants for more than about 3-4 weeks in the fridge. I will point out that their plants have effectively two or three growing seasons to each of my own, and their plants grow faster as a result!

Cheers

Barry

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iv kept drosera arctaurii alive for more than 1 season I do live in New Zealand and we do get cool nights. Im now thinking I should feed them more. They are outside in my cooler glasshouse so they should catch thier own. But they are by far the slowest growing of my Drosera. Moss overtops them too which probably slows them down more. I keep them in pots with the water level about 3/4 of the way up. They dont mind flooding if you change the water ever 5 days or so. Not sure if this helps.
    My Growlist

My Webpage with photos I took On Mt Kinabalu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for the info. After checking out your climate it looks like where I live is similar in conditions only slightly colder in the winter and slightly warmer in the summer. I think my winters are probably as harsh or harser than arturi's natural environment. I probably need to be careful during the summer as not to overheat them provided I even get them to survive that long.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast