Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new collection of dews

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection of Drosera! The Drosera adelae will probably not need as much light as most of the other species you have. You'll just have to see how it responds to the conditions you have and adjust accordingly.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd switch the D. adelae to straight LFS or LFS and perlite. I've never been able to grow it well in anything other than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I went through 10 cities and 30 stores to just find this Sphagnum peat moss.

I have some LFS growing around some of my other dews. I guess if it grows fast I can use some for around the adalae.

I was told I didn't need perlite. Also keep in mind everyone has different growing conditions/methods. I'm keep these as they were kept before I received them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ya keep in mind I couldn't find 3-4 inch pots at any stores either. Everything is out of season. I need to order some pots and when I do that maybe I'll add perlite to all my plants. Until then I don't want to keep disturbing them.

In picture 2 you see that middle clump. I was told to split that up yesterday and got about 15-20 little plants. they already look healthier than before. I didn't realize it was a bunch. I thought they grew in clumps and spread over the top of the container.

I also did the same for another of of my species and that split into about 6-10 more plants. I didn't realize cause the soil on the roots was so tightly compressed din shipping. So I left them as is not to rip the roots.

Well thanks for the tips guys. I was planning to expand my collection but since I can't even give these good conditions I'll just stick to them and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I'd switch the D. adelae to straight LFS or LFS and perlite. I've never been able to grow it well in anything other than that.
    Hmm...

That's a good theory Clint.

While my D.adelae survives, it does not THRIVE. I wonder if the peat&perlite mix is less than what it enjoys? Seems like I had my very first Lowe's D.adelae in pure LFS and it was not any healthy either...

Would a "rocky" ping mix work with D.adelae I wonder?
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT TO REMOVE PICS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    really I have mine growing in 50/50 peat moss perlite

peat moss and perlite is fine especially if you are just starting a collection you dont have much live sphagnum.
    do get some perlite though as sooon as possible.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad to see you seperated some of those plants now just go get a couple bags of perlite
    chek lowes they should ahve it in a hiuge bag for like 12$
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12