Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An uncommon tuberous for your viewing pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing plant! In your experience, what is required to grow tuberous sundews? I have been considering trying one but I am not really sure what must be done to keep them growing! Any easy species that you can recommend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    It is a little shorter than that but looks like it will keep growing for some time so may break the 12" mark.

The tuber on this beast this past year was 3cm across. Quite large.
    Wow! A foot tall! I have grown Stolonifera from seed and haven't given it dormancy for 3 years. Do you have any tips about how to handle dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice I love the tower aspect.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek623 View Post
    Amazing plant! In your experience, what is required to grow tuberous sundews? I have been considering trying one but I am not really sure what must be done to keep them growing! Any easy species that you can recommend?
    The first thing I recommend is that you study up on the section to make sure you can give them what they need. I also recommend you either start from seed or get plants/tubers that are already acclimated to this hemisphere as trying to get plants form the Southern hemisphere cycle to switch over is difficult for a beginner. The easier species (peltata, auriculata, gigantea, etc) are best for most people as they are forgiving of mistakes especially during dormancy. What works best for me (and it may be different for you since we don't have the same setups/conditions, etc) is to use a loose gritty mix and a shallow tray system while in growth. When dormancy starts you slow watering and then bag the pot and keep it somewhere protected (i.e. not in the sun to bake) for the summer. Check the bag at least monthly during this time and then weekly starting in October. As soon as you see growth put them in the tray and let them go. They like high light levels and cool temps. If you can keep them below 80F during the day they should be okay. If you can get dips to 40F at night they will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever
    Wow! A foot tall! I have grown Stolonifera from seed and haven't given it dormancy for 3 years. Do you have any tips about how to handle dormancy?
    I have never heard of this happening to be honest. I watch for die back on the plants. As soon as I see it I start drying the pots down. A raise in temp will probably help the matter as well as longer photoperiod (12+ hours of lights on.)
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an awesome Drosera. You are lucky to be able to grow such a variety of rare plants.

Its a lovely tower of stickiness.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    That is an awesome Drosera. You are lucky to be able to grow such a variety of rare plants.
    PAK,
    While I mean no offense, I really don't believe 'luck' has played much of a role in Pyro's amazingly diverse collection of plants. He has worked extremely hard - both to acquire many of the plants in his collection as well as studying them to determine their needs so they can thrive. Luck may play a part in each individual plant's ability to thrive/survive but less so in the overall success of the collection, imho.

I think we are all very fortunate that he gives so willingly both of the knowledge he has acquired (often w/ difficulty) and with his spare plants (his giveaways/trades are frequent occupants in the trading forum).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the kind words RL And PAK

I actually do feel I have a bit of luck involved. I am lucky to have a wife who tolerates my eccentricity and the levels it reaches. I am lucky she found the house we are in which has allowed me to expand my collection to the level it is at. I have also been lucky in the people I have met and for their generosity in both pants and time.

And truth be told I have been lucky with plants on occasion. My first tuberous was D. stolonifera and I went in totally ignorant of them. But the plant was tolerant of my initial stupidity and as RL points out, I used what I learned to better myself for future work with this group.

So there has been luck. But they has indeed been much hard work too And I would not have it any other way
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12