What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. stolonifera phoenix event

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So you may recall that around the start of the year my heater went out in the sunroom and my stolonifera got frozen to death. Or so I thought.

Last night as I was getting ready to dump the pot in favor of using it for some newly acquired tubers I noticed this:

P1270002_2_2.jpg

P1270003_2_2.jpg

Seems that this one plant was not frosted quite to oblivion and is making a go at recovering from basal growth. I am hoping it can pull enough energy to sustain a tuber for next season.

Does feeding tuberous drosera increase the tuber size significantly ??
Like fertilizer and bugs..
Just curious on that subject..

Just when you thought you would have another empty pot you have a tuber growing back from the dead ruining everything... lol. What a nice surprise. So how will it do with dormancy this year since it is a little off schedule, isn't it?

xvart.

Does feeding tuberous drosera increase the tuber size significantly ??
Like fertilizer and bugs..
Just curious on that subject..

Many have claimed this but I have never seen any significant difference between plants I have fed and plants I have not fed.

So how will it do with dormancy this year since it is a little off schedule, isn't it?

Technically it isn't. The plant, before it froze, had been actively growing since November so it was on a perfect schedule. My guess is that the tubers for this year will be smaller than previous years as it has had to draw extra reserves to do this recovery act. I may be able to drag it through a longer growth season by moving it to the crawlspace as the temps go up but I do not know if I want to try that...

Last edited:
Thats interesting I guess you just need to dry out the pots correctly and hope the tubers are okay sizes....
Maybe a control test of the same specie with same wakeup time with the same sized tubers one with copious feeding and one without....

Nice, hopefully it grows nice for ya. Good luck.

Maybe a control test of the same specie with same wakeup time with the same sized tubers one with copious feeding and one without....

The problem being that with some species (this one included) if the plant is happy it'll bud daughter tubers sometimes. So you may have a smaller tuber because the energy went into two tubers instead.

You would also need a number of plants in each set and most people do not have the gumption to try to grow a dozen tuberous...

Thats well thats not plausible....

Back