Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drosera filiformis florida giant question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drosera filiformis florida giant question

i received a dormant drosera filiformis florida giant last saturday. I planted it in 1 half peat, 1 half perlite and it was doing great. Unfortunately, last night was cold, below freezing and today the parts of the bulb turned black. Any chance it'll still come out of dormancy when it warms up.
    Finer in 09'er

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was already dormant, it should not be too much of a problem. You will notice new green tentacles growing from the hibernaculum once temp and photoperiod begin to increase.

Mine were beginning to throw out new, tiny tentacles, but then we had a frost (about 28F) and most turned black including parts of the premature ones stuck on the hibernaculum and died. Just about a week later, the plant threw out some more new growth. Filiformis is very hardy and robust.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those thing make me mad mine was dormant and everything was great then the bud rotted even in a very dry condition with other dormant CPs

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have D. filiformis freeze twice. Once was in the infamous October storm. Those plants froze to death. And last week my kid opened the window and all my trays were frozen. Those plants mostly lived, including the filiformis. Time will tell.... but there's hope. whatever you do, don't move them to where there will be a drastic change in temps. They need to thaw gradually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I have d. filiformis freeze twice. Once was in the infamous October storm. Those plants froze to death. And last week my kid opened the window and all my trays were frozen. Those plants mostly lived, including the filiformis. Time will tell.... but there's hope. whatever you do, don't move them to where there will be a drastic change in temps. They need to thaw gradually.
    My plant didn't turn into an ice cube, the temperatures just dropped from 50F to about 20F for a night and it turned black. I just checked on it and it looks worst than yesterday. I don't think it's going to magically spring back to life
    Finer in 09'er

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to wait it out for a week or so to see if new growth appears or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may come back from the roots... My filiformis tracyi and filiformis filiformis both froze this winter and are fine. My D. binata froze and I thought it was dead, but it seems to be coming back from the roots now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's safe to say that it's dead. Yesterday, my grandma took the pot with my drosera filiformis florida giant, threw away the hibernaculum, and in it's place put an onion bulb. That's the third time she replaced one of my plants with onion bulbs. First it was my bhut jolokia seedlings, then my habanero seedlings, now my sundew
    Finer in 09'er

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast