Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shipping D. regia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping D. regia

Has any one ever had any luck shipping D. regia bare root? Does any body have a method of making sure the D. regia is alive when it reaches its destination?
    I have recieved a couple of plants potted and had them live but so far i have never been able to get a plant shipped bare root to live, they always turn black and die shortly after recieving them.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a D. regia recently. A good amount of the soil was left around the roots and wrapped in a damp paper towel and sealed in a plastic bag. The plant arrived in two days via USPS Priority Mail nice and green.

I tried to pot it up without disturbing the soil plug but as always happens it fell apart in my hand while I was making adjustment to the receiving end.

Only one leaf turned black... it was yellowing to begin with...before new growth resumed within a couple weeks.Other than the old leaves not producing dew it doesn't seem to have suffered too much from the experience.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it as you have done the Neps. Or at least mimic the domed pots that one sees VFT's at Home Depot and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have shipped a number of regia bare root. A large bundle of damp but not wet sphag around the roots and then into a zip lock works well.

I believe part of the issue with this plant is when it is shipped. Like all the S. African Drosera, it seems to have active and inactive periods. I would avoid shipping while in the inactive state.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat