What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping D. regia

Has any one ever had any luck shipping D. regia bare root? Does any body have a method of making sure the D. regia is alive when it reaches its destination?
I have recieved a couple of plants potted and had them live but so far i have never been able to get a plant shipped bare root to live, they always turn black and die shortly after recieving them.

I received a D. regia recently. A good amount of the soil was left around the roots and wrapped in a damp paper towel and sealed in a plastic bag. The plant arrived in two days via USPS Priority Mail nice and green.

I tried to pot it up without disturbing the soil plug but as always happens it fell apart in my hand while I was making adjustment to the receiving end.

Only one leaf turned black... it was yellowing to begin with...before new growth resumed within a couple weeks.Other than the old leaves not producing dew it doesn't seem to have suffered too much from the experience.

Do it as you have done the Neps. Or at least mimic the domed pots that one sees VFT's at Home Depot and the like.

I have shipped a number of regia bare root. A large bundle of damp but not wet sphag around the roots and then into a zip lock works well.

I believe part of the issue with this plant is when it is shipped. Like all the S. African Drosera, it seems to have active and inactive periods. I would avoid shipping while in the inactive state.

Back